Author Topic: can someone tell me what this is?  (Read 3465 times)

shylin09

• View Profile

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: can someone tell me what this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:06:46 pm »
Wow, that's pretty unique. Do you have any idea how long your grandma had it? Even a guess? It would make the search a little easier if we knew if it was modern or very old. Thanks!

shylin09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:11:39 pm »
well she said that my grandpa gave it to her. he passed away about 5 years ago. i believe she said she had it for 10 or so years. He bought it for her at an antique store. there are no markings on it to say who made it. one thing i noticed about it is that the flowers were put on as a bubble of glass.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:44 am »
I second that "Wow!" I'm normally not a fan of glass figurines, but yours is really different. Very attractive.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »
Wow, is right.

Opalescent art glass figurine - "Dutch girl with flower basket".

To me, that looks pretty enough to be Lalique, but what do I know..

Check his work out here below,

Rene Lalique, is probably best known for; amazing vases, car mascots, scent bottles and his trade mark opalescent coloured bowls and figures.
  http://www.renelaliqueglass.com/

And lots of pretties here:

http://rlalique.com/blog/?tag=rene-lalique-statues-figurines-r-lalique-statues

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:19:38 pm »
Don't forget Mario Sabino/France whose works are right up there as well.

Also, August Walther & Sons (Germany).

Very nice piece....hmmmmmmmmm m
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »
Hey Shylin, I know you said there aren't any markings but are you sure there aren't any tiny ones? Any numbers or single letters? Sometimes these marks can be hidden pretty good or are small and faint. Just thought I'd ask in case one was hiding! Also, approximately how big is it?

shylin09

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 11:28:07 pm »
sorry it took so long to reply i had to hunt down a measuring tape. she is 11 inches tall and almost 6 inches from front to back at the base. side to side at the base is 4 inches wide. her skirt is hollow. but i dont see any markings numbers or anything anywhere. i looked her over for a good ten minutes and found none. ??? oh and she is super heavy

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:27:15 am »
Shylin, Hosman is correct, those "signatures" can be very small and very elusive to "see".

Sometimes it requires a magnifying glass, ..... holding it in just the right position, ....... in just the right type of light (bright Sunlight, fluorescent, natural light, etc.) ...... and/or a lot of luck.

One has to "check out" every itty bitty what-looks-to-be an "imperfection" in the glass because it just might be ..... "the signature".

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:52 am »
Ditto on what the others put about id'ing marks.  Unfortunately we really need to have it on this one shyline09!

I still think ya'll need to take a look see at Sabino.....he did some amazing work and is up there with LaLique!
"More than half a century has passed since the production of this style of glass was at its peak. During the twenties and thirties there had been a large group of artificers of glass, among them Rene Lalique, Sabino, Etling, Hunebelle, D'Avesn, Verlys and Jobling. Of these, two emerged as the most prolific and best- Lalique and Sabino."
History site:  http://www.sabinoartglass.com/aboutus.html
Examples:  http://www.sabinoartglass.com/catalog.asp

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=1624967

Also Etling was from the same era

Don't forget Jobling (English).  AND  remember that Frankhauser designed MANY of the molds for the famous French makers of this Art Deco period, including Lalique!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:09:46 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:58 am »
I know this is an old post but ran across the maker while just studying diffrent glass manufacturers and thought I would post for all. I searched for this one when the post was placed long ago but gave up. This piece was produced by  Barovier & Toso eugenio Murano
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/337845

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:57:49 am »
I did the same thing recently,,Was looking for one item and found that square butter dish that I couldn`t remember the maker !! Now I cant remember the post of the person that broke her grandmothers dish and was looking for a replacement !! Ahhh,, the hazards of getting older I guess !!  Anyway before I forget again it was Hazel-Atlas and the pattern was Crisscross !! At least I think that might have been what she was looking for !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:35 am »
That is one of the neatest figurines I have ever seen!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »
Nice Wendy!!!!!!  Some of these old ones bug me and like you....I have a hard time finding them because we aren't really sure how to search for them.  Almost need to make an "unsolved mysteries" gravesite on here! 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 08:11:53 pm »
Now that is a great idea KC!