Author Topic: Metal 3 stamp holder (desk accessory)  (Read 2062 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Metal 3 stamp holder (desk accessory)
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:51:41 pm »
Everyone's stuff here looks so perfect, it makes me feel bad that the family who owned our things didn't care for them very well. But I am posting it anyway because I really want to know about them.  :(

This little guy is quite heavy. I don't see a single mark anywhere. The bottom looks painted! Whether they did that or not I don't know.
Minus the legs it is 3 5/8 in length. 1 5/8 in width and 1 1/2 tall. (Inches)

I'd love to know how old it might be. Thanks!

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Metal 3 stamp holder (desk accessory)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:43:10 am »
I haven't had any luck with this Snow... Nothing matches yours exactly on-line but it is a cool little item! A few similar referenced the Arts and Crafts era (1910-1930) and I can see how this would fit in to the style but the gold is throwing me off a bit. I could be wrong but it seems it would be more common to be made of copper.

Any guesses as to what kind of metal?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:38 am »
I think the gold is sprayed on. And on the bottom I swear it even looks painted on. Whether one of his family did it or not, I just don't know. His great Aunt had a thing for painting and there are things here she covered in gold paint! But that would have only been the underside of this one. It is some kind of darker silver color under the gold. I am terrible when it comes to metal. Just some kind of heavy base metal of some sort. For the size of it, it feels heavy!

I wish I had have asked about these things. I made sure to ask about family history, and all the old photo's. Never even thought to ask about the old things around the house.

Thank you so much for your help and time. I'll narrow down my search to that time period and see if I can come up with anything. Why is it so hard to find the things we have, find everything but that?  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
That is so similar to mine, KC!! Thanks a bunch. ;D The hinges and legs/feet are identical. So it is an art deco piece. I have that to go on. Do you think mine is brass?

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »
Does a magnet stick to it?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »
During that time period there were alot of brass bronze pieces made!  I thought it resembled yours alot - however it was a 2 slot!

http://www.aspireauctions.com/auction302/details/38655.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »
No a magnet doesn't stick to it. There is a guy that works with metal just outside of my town. I should ask about identifying metals from him. He has blacksmith/forging courses. I wish I could afford it but I heard he charges more than $1000. I thought that seemed a bit high! I should check for myself.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. It was stumping me! Still going to keep searching to see if I can find the maker. It's not vital, but inquiring minds need to know!  ;)

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:04:25 pm »
A magnet wont stick to brass.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:05 am »
Ditto KevinB's answer!