Author Topic: Old Broadway posters in old heavy frames....40 cents admission  (Read 3318 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Old Broadway posters in old heavy frames....40 cents admission
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:58 am »
I found these old posters, in old heavy frames. I do not know if the posters are worth anything, or the frames themselves. The frames look really old. I have never heard of these shows before, and looking up old Broadway posters on ebay seem like they are not worth more than maybe $10. I am hoping somone could shed any light on these so i can have a better description if i decide to sell them on ebay.....

Here are some pics (the glass is broke in one):

Here is the broken one:

bob535

• View Profile
Re: Old Broadway posters in old heavy frames....40 cents admission
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:33:33 am »
I don't know why some of those posted upside down.....they are correct on my pic host site...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:45:18 am »
Oh those are fabulous! I am betting that they could be quite valuable to a collector of Broadway memorabilia. I think that we're going to need to locate an expert in the field that can assess these for you. I would wait to put them on Ebay until you are comfortable that you know what their value is (or isn't!).
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:29 am »
Thanks Tales!! I think you are right....I will for sure get more info on them. I do like them myself, but I have no room to keep them...lol.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:03:17 pm »
I think I've found someone who can help you. I would start with this person. Keep in mind that they may want to buy them from you since that is what she does. The price she would offer you will be significantly less than what she can sell it for. You might want to start with this person, then try a couple of others and see what you can find out about them. The other way to approach it is to tell this person that you are not interested in selling (even if you are) and that you want an insurance value and a recommendation of a restorer. That way you can also find out what the value would be if the damage was repaired.

For the right posters, the values can be huge, and I don't have the expertise to know if yours are valuable or not. I really think it would be a good idea to take some time with this, and really get a good understanding of what you have.

Here's a place to start:
http://www.vintageposterworks.com/

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:26:22 pm »
Nice!! Thank you very much again tales....i will contact this person...thank you!!!!!

I understand i will not get full value for them, but i don't have the contacts. People who want these things come to her, so it's all understandable.  ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »
Let us know what you find out!

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:53:18 pm »
will do!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 12:55:26 pm »
The first one is not a broadway poster !! It is sheet music !! Right under the Baby Mine it says "song" !!  I have had a bunch of those !!   $.40 is what it cost to purchase a copy of that song !!  Other one is sheet music too !!  Many publishing companies sold those !!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:04:12 pm by mart »

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »
ahhh...you are right mart....i just took it out of the frame (the back was comming off anyways) it is sheet music.... darn...the address on the top one said between broadway and another street...that explain why there is no date...i was looking for a date of the show

do you know if these things have any value mart??

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:32 pm »
Both of them are actually sheet music.....just checked the other one too.....wonder why someone framed them?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »
Not much value,, about $1.00 each !! I have sold a few but just not much demand for them !! They will sell better as framed art which is what happened to yours !!  Frames are 70`s or 80`s and someone,,(thinking a person with musical background,,possibly teacher) decided to hang them on the wall as art !!  I have had a few that were interesting historically !! Kept one that was "Slave Song" and haven`t decided yet what I will do with it !! It was not in good condition !! May have some others left !!  Need to look !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »
Ah! I thought these were poster sized and that the song title was like a featured song. I'm afraid Mart is right, I used to pick up the neatest old piano music for next to nothing.