Author Topic: Punch bowl  (Read 1829 times)

Thor

Punch bowl
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:13:51 pm »
Hey folks,

My Godmother has this punchbowl languishing in her basement.  She has 9 cups with it and it's pretty large; the cups sit in the rounded spaces along the "plate" under the main bowl.  Sorry, I don't have measurements or other pictures.  I took these pictures before I ever joined the forum, so I have limited info.

Any suggestions or guesses on what it is?  She asked me to see if I could find it and also find any info on worth, but I couldn't dig anything up last year when I looked.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Punch bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »
I would search L.E.Smith company they were known for punch bowls with underplates instead of pedestals like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Glass-13-Pc-Punch-Bowl-Smith-APG-Bulls-Eye-/400107963346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d284b03d2

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:59:24 pm »
     That appears to be a Bartlett Collins Manhatten Pattern.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 06:49:38 am »
Good call ironlord !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:26:21 am »
Its gorgeous whatever it is !!  Get it out of the basement and use it !!

Thor

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
Wendy, Ironlord, and Mart,
Thank you so very much!  I'll pass the info on to my Godmother.  I'd like to see her use it, but she doesn't hold big parties anymore.  Maybe I'll convince her to float candles in it as a centerpiece.
 ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:19:02 am »
That would sure be pretty over the holiday season !! Floating candles in beautiful punchbowl !! Would make it sparkle !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 11:33:21 am »
Punch bowl are a treasured inheritance!  Not everyone is privileged to own a piece of history!!!!  A time of elegance and glamour....a slower time....more leisurely!!!!  They aren't needed that often (unless you own a party/catering business and/or have lots of parties) for the traditional use...but there are many other uses.

They are gorgeous for making a layered dessert or salad in for a large crowd and make tossing salads or pasta dishes a cinch.  They are glass (like your baking dishes) and can handle heat (I wouldn't put them in the oven but tossing hot pasta for a crowd is a mouthwatering display).  Fried chicken becomes a grand centerpiece when served in a punch bowl - plain to bang!   If yours is a large one...bobbing for apples!!!!

These days decorators are going ga-ga over them to display decorative orbs/balls.  They have long since been used ,like Thor said, to float candles in.  They are festive at Christmas to fill with multicolored glass balls and battery operated lights in between!  Autumn leaves/branches and pine cones make for a ice transition into fall.  They are great for setting out party favors in.  Having a drawing?  Fill with the numbered objects/paper!  For kids/grandkids/parties...fill with colored sand or aquarium polished pebbles and let the fun begin by placing "artifacts - toys" for adventurous ones to find.  For the ladies....rings/bracelets/small perfumes/etc....for the men - small tools, rolled up gift certificates....let your imagination run wild!

TOO DEEP to fill with all you want...simply turn a smaller dish upside down in the bottom to fill up space and put decor/food around it!!!

Become helpful and popular by lending it out to trusted friends! 

(Can't tell I've written food columns for years?!?!?!)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!