Author Topic: What are these Pots Called  (Read 5098 times)

Thor

Re: What are these Pots Called
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »
Although your piece looks too "chunky" to be from Japan, I found "honde" in Japanese ceramics

"Different types of Karatsu ware have been appreciated by numerous tea masters. To be found among the major works of Karatsu ceramics are, Oku-Korai following the Korai tea bowls, Seto-Karatsu of honde and kawakujirade, Chosen-Karatsu coated with straw ash glaze (warabaiyu) and iron glaze (tetsuameyu), E-Garatsu depicted with iron or copper glaze and coated with translucent glaze, and Madara-Karatsu having blue spots of straw ash glaze. Karatsu ware is characterized by the paddling technique (tatakizukuri) in which strings of clay are stacked on a wheel and the outside is paddled with a wooden paddle into shape with the inside supported by battens. This is said to have been handed down from Korea."

from this site: http://www.umakato.jp/english/kara02.html

and
"Satsuma-Yaki is a faience of several varie ties and localities as well as periods; the °Go honde° Yoshiro-stamped product alone is of eight styles (according to color and appear ance of glaze), and the Kumagawa finely crackled brown paste, buff-glazed ware is an other held in great esteem by Japanese con noisseurs; it originated the ware that later be came world famous."
from this site: http://www.magnumarchive.com/c/encyclopedia-americana-volume-15/Japanese-Ceramics.html

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 07:27:36 pm »
    Thanks Thor, that was some intresting Reading.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »
You don't think the boiling man story was interesting? ;D Just joking. Thanks thor I think you said better than I did :D
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 11:27:57 am »
Personally, I like the idea that you've got cannibal cookware. Does it come in non-stick? Ewwwwwww!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 11:42:06 am »
LOL

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:44:06 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 12:56:37 pm »
I would seriously list it that way if it were bigger !! Seems the more wierd an item is the better it sells !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 03:00:27 pm »
 ;D A person after my own heart!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."