Author Topic: Oil Painting Please Help  (Read 4991 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Re: Oil Painting Please Help
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:49:31 am »
That would be great. I really do appreciate any effort in helping me.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »
I'd say one thing ; the strecher frame appears to have been re-used , with staple & nail marks from whatever canvas originally was secured to it (not @ all like 'protective' barriors that would be sometimes affixed to the reverse of a painting , such as paper) .... unless your canvas was trimmed-down , for whatever reason .

I'd strongly suggest that you remove the mounted canvas & frame from the outer frame .... in order to inspect it for additional info , including the method that the canvas was secured to the stretcher , as well as any 'covert' damage/insect nests & etc .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:49 pm »
I thought the new expert section was to ask them about your antiques. It is only to see what they have already valued. Oh well, put it up at the forum anyway. You never know. It's not very active. Don't hold your breath.  ;)

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 01:27:53 pm »
There was a old piece of cardboard that was tacked and taped to the back of the stretcher frame that I was told to remove to see if any good info was hiding underneath.

I can see nails holding the canvas onto to stretcher frame. I was trying to post a pic but the program I use is having issues. I will try to post again later. I was tempted to take it out of the frame but I'm afraid of damaging it. Its held in with finishing nails and I know what a pain in the butt they can be. Any suggestions on how to get them out? Or just pry gently?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »
I usually use a small pair of diagonal wire-cutters , needle-nose pliers , etc . ; generally I try to grip any exposed area of nails/brads/tacks & ease them out to the point that one can grip the head of the nail & remove it (without digging into the frame/framing elements) .

Avoid doing any damage , if you run into a 'tight & tough' one , by using a small pc/block of wood/nylon/etc. as a 'pry-block' .

Just take your time & be firm , but patient with the nails  , KevinB .

Thanks for your comments about the backing mat'l , as I was curious .

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:20:31 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 04:00:44 pm »
I saw those finish nails !!  Thats why I didn`t ask that it be out of the frame to inspect !! But that is another hint that the artist was not well informed about framing art !!  Its always possible that the painting was restretched/tightened up !!  I did notice some cracking along the edges that indicate that it may have been,, rather than reused !!  But if when it is out of the frame you can tell that there may be colors that just do not belong to this painting !!  If so then that is also a possibility but most artists would have sanded and applied a layer of gesso over the old painting before doing another !!  And just to clarify what I said,,, I did not mean that the number on the back was the price of the painting,,I meant the price of the unpainted canvas when it was purchased !!  I am not sure I helped much on this but if so,, I am happy to do it !!  I just wish we could have discovered the artist was a listed one !! 
If you try to take it out of the frame ( I don`t think I would as that is the way you found it and it will leave holes and possibly weaken it more) But if you do,, get someone to hold the painting upright and use a small wood block and tack hammer and tap the topmost edge all the way around till you can remove it from the frame but don`t take the nails out !! When done looking at it,, try to put it back as it was !!  I think that is part of its history and I would keep it that way if it were me !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 08:05:51 pm »
I'll think about taking it out but at this point I dont really want to.

I found almost the same exact painting that was done by a well known czech artist. It looks like there might be a few more buildings in the foreground compared to mine and very slight differences in the trees. http://www.odklepnuto.cz/aukce/4215060/kutna-hora-mal-jar-setelik-r1925-ai64.html

I dont know what to make of it. The town didn't look like this when either of the paintings were done and they are too similair to be a coincidence. What do you all think?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 10:13:16 am »
The view is similar but my opinion on your painting is that it was done by either an American or most likely by someone in the UK !! The painting #2 looks a bit more finished than yours does !! As with many plein aire artists if time was a factor and they wanted to capture a scene at a particular moment, it was usually roughed in while on location and all the main elements are put on the canvas, then back at the studio they would use drawings or photos to complete it !! Using artistic license is common and not always are all the elements correct !!  Even the old masters did this !!  I have also done many paintings and literally get tired of painting trees ect !! So I stopped and went on to more interesting elements like the wildlife !!  Thats one thing about being an artist,, only one you have to please is yourself !! As far as another painting of the same scene showing up,, Its a very common thing for several artists to paint the same scene !!  Where that particular view was a popular one !! You would naturally pick a pretty scene to put on your canvas !! But each artist may see things differently !!