Author Topic: Sofa of unknown origin  (Read 1941 times)

crabada

• View Profile
Sofa of unknown origin
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:24:36 pm »
I am trying to figure out the time period for my sofa. It has Empire-like qualities, but the legs are wrong. It also has a large oval stone in the woodwork at the top-middle of the back.

Pictures are of full couch and the stone detail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Courtney

mart

• View Profile
Re: Sofa of unknown origin
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:25 am »
Still has the paw like feet and chunky style so I would classify it as Empire !! The insert is probably marble and is called a cameo !!  Where are you located ??  Do you have any history on the sofa ??  Looks like it was recovered fairly recently !! Check out "Golden Eagle Furniture Collection" !! Just looked a leather sofa quite similar to yours with the cameo insert at top !! Thought at first it might be French or French influence but could be a more modern type !!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:57:21 am by mart »

crabada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 10:14:35 am »
Mart,

Thanks so much for your reply. I have no history on the sofa, as I found it on the street. (I live in Hollywood.) One person's trash is another's treasure, right? I am having it reupholstered and restuffed, as I have no idea where it's been, and don't want to take any chances with bedbugs or the like. Plus, the current upholstery looks much better in the picture than it does in real life. I just LOVE the frame, so for me it's worth it.

I looked at the "Golden Eagle" furniture, and the cameo is quite similar. Very cool - thanks for pointing that out.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Best,
Courtney

PS - Posting another pic, which is a close up of the feet.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
Had to comment that I love the feet! This sofa really has wonderful character and the condition looks great!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
In looking at the feet (last pic and enlarged), does it look like the feet may have been cut off a bit.  Also maybe had casters at one point since I see holes?
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »
Had I found one like that I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat !!  You are lucky to have found it !!  Did you look at the prices of Golden Eagle ?? The one I saw first was about $1800. !! Most likely did have castors originally !! Its possible that it could have been shortened so look under the feet for fresh wood !! Couldn`t see well enough to tell !!  Just go over those scratches with some old english dark oil, have it recovered if you wish and you will have a sofa to bragg about !! Great find no matter if old or new !!

BungalowMo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
I have no history on the sofa, as I found it on the street.

Oh Man!  That's the best deal in town!  Even if you have to pay for the reupholstering... that's one nice piece of furniture.

Makes me hate my Bassett...  Under 5 years old, I'm pretty much the only person who sits on it, piece of crap & sagging cushions (I weigh about 115).  I cannot wait to get rid of that thing when I find something cool like yours.  I won't buy another "new" piece of furniture again if I can help it!
I can fully appreciate the meaning behind the phrase "They just don't make 'em like they used to".