Author Topic: Baccarat Identification  (Read 3433 times)

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
Baccarat Identification
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

Purchased an older decanter today that I believe to Baccarat.  Has the number 34 on both the bottom of the stopper and the decanter.  Has anyone come across a good reference to the numbering system that they used before marking with the Baccarat name?

Also, it has a bit of mineral buildup on the very bottom inside.  I have read that a combination of dishwashing detergent, rice, and water will do the trick, but am hesitant to try since I am not familiar with the outcome.  I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks!

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Baccarat Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:27:09 am »
Not sure about the Baccarat ID but I think we have a thread on cleaning class somewhere...  I'll try to find it.

This wasn't the thread I was thinking of but it has the same trick using denture cleaner
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=2341.msg5534#msg5534
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:31:08 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:52:00 am »
I haven't had much luck using denture cleaner on glass for some reason. It makes the clean parts a bit more sparkly but doesn't remove any stains. Even if I let it sit for 24 hours several times. Maybe I just bought a crappy denture cleaner. ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:09:17 am »
    If you could post a picture of the Decanter we may be able to help Id it for you.  On just general Cleaning of glass Denture cleaner works pretty well, However if what you have is called Dirty Glass, this is a much bigger problem.  Fine Crystal that has been cleaned in a Dishwasher, can develop what is called Dirty Glass.  This can be next to impossible to clean.  I had a nice set of Fostoria Stemware that was Dirty Glass, a foggy look on the glass, and when you attempt to clean it, it comes back once it is dried.  I had read a few method of cleaning it but none really worked at all.  Look up Cleaning "Dirty Glass".  Fine Crystal Glass should never be cleaned in a Dishwasher and when it is, it can develope a mineral Deposit on the glass.  If you do find a way to clean Dirty Glass Please let me know, many times I find this dirty Glass on nice pieces but won't touch them because I have not found a way to clean them.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:11:40 am »
    I did find one product that claims to Clean Dirty Glass, have not tried it but maybe this will work. 

http://touchoforanges.stores.yahoo.net/dirtyglass.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:46 am »
If it just mineral deposit on the glass get a stiff piece of wire like a coathanger and cut the straight piece into a length enough to reach the bottom then cut a piece of the teflon scrubbies for dishes, the flat kind, and bend the wire around it or wrap it around the wire and secure !!  Put a loop on the wire end !! Then use it to scrub the inside with and dish soap !! You can use the rice but it may not get it all out !! Won`t hurt to try though !!
You can bend the wire so it will reach the sides !! And this is a safe way to clean it !!  If it comes back after scrubbing and drying,, its dirty glass !!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 11:46:06 am »
Hmmm...  I wonder if something like CLR would work. Could be really hard on it I would think but if it's ruined w/o might be worth a try.  I wish I had a piece to test :)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »
    Nope on CLR  I tried that on the Wine Glasses I had, Tried many different things.  The thing is Dirty Glass is Minerals usually from Hard water and Heat getting into the glass.  On intresting thing to note about glass, is it is a Liquid not considered a solid.  It is a hard Liquid but Liquid non the less, and minerals can get into glass with enough heat added.  Back on the glass being a Liquid is a intresting fact for all you glass lovers.  If glass is left to gravity for many decades, gravity will actually warp it. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:00 pm »
Need  clear photos please glass and crystal are very hard to place a maker with a piece and near impossible without photos !!  :)

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:18:01 pm »
Sorry it took so long, had to employ my husband's help.  Clear glass is so hard to get good pics.  So, the decanter in question will be the first 3 pics.  It is 11 1/2" tall and marked with the #34 on the bottom of the stopper and around the rim of the bottle.

I have also included a perfume bottle that I have confirmed Baccarat due to markings and history.  It is 2 1/2" tall and held the perume "Bellodgia".  These would be shown in the next 3 pics.  Bottle is marked with #26.

The final 3 pics are of another decanter that I have had for a while now.  Had no luck with identification, so I just put it on a shelf.  Got to looking at it this morning and noticed numbers on the bottom of the stopper as well as the rim of the bottle.  The numbers don't match as in the other two.  Stopper is marked with  #885 and bottle is marked with #4.

All I have been able to find out is that Baccarat did not mark with their name until around 1936 beginning with labels and them progressed to etching.  So, I'd really be interested in finding a way to date these with the numbers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:22:37 pm »
I forgot to say that the first decanter in question has a design similar to the Harcourt that Baccarat has had in production for 170 years (hard to see in photos), so I am really intriqued.  Here's the rest of the pics.

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:23:35 pm »
Last one!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:31:16 pm »
The only way I know of really cleaning glass is tumbling. You would have to find someone who has a machine. I've to buy one. Maybe your crystal is to delicate.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:55 pm »
As far as cleaning decanters and cruets, one product that is worth trying is "Magic Balls". They are special abrasive coated pellets that seem to work for some problem pieces.