Author Topic: Antique Anti Auto Theft Device  (Read 3878 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Antique Anti Auto Theft Device
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
     O.k. here is a intresting one that I have, that I just started looking into, and thought I would share.  It is a Anti Auto Theft Device, has a Patant date of 1914.  First never thought They needed them in those early days.  I am most intrested in trying to figure out how it works.  It has a lock, (I don't have the key) on the side, so it is like a clamp, does is clamp to the wheel?  Just thought I would share and see if anyone may have some information on this unique Item. 

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Antique Anti Auto Theft Device
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:10:51 pm »
Wow!! Very cool find Ironlord!!
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 08:13:37 pm »
That is way awesome ironlord! I didn't know they had them back then either, I am looking forward to seeing how it works. I could see a vintage car collector eating that up! Are you gonna sell?

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 08:33:41 pm »
Cool! Never would have thought they were made back then!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:55 pm »
     Thanks for the response and links.  Seems like not much real solid information exsist on these device.  It does appear to go around the wheel, and if a thief took the the car it would make a thud like noise going down the road.  For sure seems intresting, I found two on Ebay right now with over $100.00 Buy it now price but only one has sold and it was for just over $20.00.  I did find a link to one that was at a auction house that estimated it $200.00 to $1,200.00 quite a spread Seems like not many really know much about these and their value.  Yes Hosman I will be posting it tommorow on Ebay and see what happens.  I picked it up at the Auction last week for $15.00 and it came with three Antique Irons also, so I'm sure I won't be at a loss either way.  Think I will start it at $24.99 with $50.00 BIN and see what happens.  Either way it has been a good learning experience well worth the money paid.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 01:13:20 am »
That's cool! Like "The Club" from 1914! I am curious if it would do well in the automotive section, if it might be something that classic car owners would like to have?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
Here is the patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1108156.pdf

You probably have already found it via Sapphires link but thought I'd post. Might be neat in your listing to point to it.  Neat item IL!!

ETA: And in case you were wondering... $100 in 1914 is equal to $2,231.71 in today's money  ;D
http://www.calculator.net/inflation-calculator.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:00:58 am by Oceans64 »
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:36 am »
It's amazing how some things don't change. A thief today is the same as yesterday. I wonder what kind of time you got for being a car thief in 1914?
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

Know about these....

They sell from #10 to $30 depending on area and those interested in history.  They were the largest ones produced in their time but none were favorites of insurance companies because they really didn't prevent theft but cause damage to the vehicle/tire/spokes.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »
That is a super cool piece, ironlord!!  Looks like you already got a lot of info from the other's posts (I was going to look up the patent info as well but see it's already here)...good luck & hope you make a pretty penny on it!  Lots of pretty pennies  ;)