Author Topic: mercury / antique mirror  (Read 1188 times)

jenny

• View Profile
mercury / antique mirror
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »
i have a beautiful large carved antique mirror, there is no back on it and i have noticed that the mercury is coming off the back of the mirror into small balls. i know mercury is dangerous, should i get a new mirror for the frame, or can i get a back put on the mirror or a coating? need some advice please.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:27:33 pm by jenny »

mart

• View Profile
Re: mercury / antique mirror
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
How old is this mirror and does the glass have a beveled edge ??

jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:59:59 pm »
i think it is really old, over 100 yrs? don't think has a beveled edge can't tell as covered by the frame. the mirror is very broken down, it has a haze to it so i can't see a very clear reflection. it is beautiful but i am worried that it might be dangerous to have it as it is in a room?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »
We've had questions come up on resilvering mirrors, have a look at this topic: http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7883.msg34915#msg34915
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »
If it has a beveled edge it will be at least an inch wide usually and you can see it just looking at it from the front !! It will be completely around the mirrors edge !! If you can not see a beveled edge I would just have another cut to fit and replace it !! Since I don`t know how big this mirror is I could not say what it would cost !! I would hunt thrift markets for one larger than the size you need and the cutting by a glass shop cost should be minimal !! You can certainly put a backing on it yourself using a heavy piece of cardboard !! Just cut to fit and use push points to hold it in !!  Might cost you an hours work and a $2.98 pkg of push points !! I have never heard of anyone becoming ill from a mirror however,,since you don`t know what was used on this one its best to either cover it up with a backing or replace it !! When I had my shop and got a piece with a beveled mirror that was unusable,,I took all of the old silver off with paint stripper cleaned it well and had a 1/8 inch mirror cut and just put it behind the clean beveled glass !! When you looked at the front you couldn`t tell that it had been done !! It did make a heavy mirror though !!