Author Topic: The Old Curiousity Shop Brass casting and telescoping rod  (Read 1531 times)

bjcmack

• View Profile
The Old Curiousity Shop Brass casting and telescoping rod
« on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:15 pm »

Hi, I  am writing to you  and asking ,  who might be able to answer my inquiry.

These pictures represent a brass casting of The Old Curiousity Shop created by Charles Dickens in that book. It is very detailed and on the front engraved is the words  "The Old Curiosity Shop",  "1837" " Portsmouth St Lincoln's Inn Fields" and on the back are several numbers and words   "Rd. applied for"   "16379".  The whole casting is about 2"X3" with a telescoping tube attached to it by screw threads. the lower, second section, each about 10" long, has another screw thread  that is missing an attachment. On the back is a 1/2 " loop possibly for hanging it on a wall or otherwhere. I would love to know what it is.Thanks

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: The Old Curiousity Shop Brass casting and telescoping rod
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:36:06 am »
That thing is really cool! I dont know what it is but Im sure someone can help ya. Is it a pendulum for a grandfather clock maybe?? just a guess..
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:02 am »
Looks like a fireplace accessory...maybe had a brush on the other end?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:31:15 am »
You posted this on an ebay forum and guess you didn`t check for answers !!  One person in the UK said it was part of a fireplace companion set and that it was a poker !!  Another said it could have been a brush from a similar set !! Since you didn`t show the entire item and couldn`t see what the end of the extention looks like, I would assume it is correct !! You didn`t say if the extentions were hollow or solid so other than this,, have no idea without more details !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »
Good points Mart!!!  Have to agree with part of a fireplace set!

Always post a pic of the ENTIRE item!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bjcmack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:54:26 pm »
 :) Thanks to all for reponding- I did check later for the EBay forum for the answer and  I do believe it is a fireplace accessary -the telescoping end has no attachment so i couldn't show it but it has screw ending that a brush,poker or fork could easily be attached and the ring could hold it on the wall next to teh fireplace-thanks again to all-Jack