Author Topic: Costume Jewlery? old? value?  (Read 2476 times)

bob535

• View Profile
Costume Jewlery? old? value?
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:07:02 am »
I wanted to share this piece with you guys, and see if you could tell me anything about it. It looks like 151 is scratched on the back. Thinking it once said 951, and on the rim it looks as if there is a scratch on the the top, that could be a mark, but too small or worn to read.

I may be wrong, but i was always told that if the stone setting is opened back it is a good stone. is this correct?

Here are a couple pics.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Costume Jewlery? old? value?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:00:25 pm »
If you feel that it is real take it to a jeweler. I've done that. It's not signed, so I'm not sure. I had a lot of jewerly books. I'll check It looks like a C clasp. There someone on this sight who knows more about jewelry than me. I'm going to check now.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »
That would probably be Wendy and Snowflake !! Both collect jewelry and are very knowledgable in that area !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:52:24 pm »
I have a large collection of jewelry and, from my experience, most good costume pieces should be signed. Your pin seems antque. If it said 925 it would be sterling silver. With that C clasp I don't think it brands like Trifari or Coro or Hollycraft.  Is that a pearl on the clasp?

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:59 pm »
I'm going to attempt to take a better pic......give me about 10 min  ;D
No it's not pearl. It is metal also.

I'll be right back with another pic....thanks guys

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
ok i got a few pics....

The first one i was trying to get a pic of what looked like could be a mark of some kind, but even with a magnifying glass i can not make out what it says, but it looks intentional. but it also looks like just a wide scratch in a straight line.....lol

The middle pic, if you look at the top on the left side of the hinge you can kinda see the 15 scratched into it

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:39:16 pm by bob535 »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 06:58:28 am »
Nice brooch, I would say 1940s - Many less costly stones were used with open back settings, these are all unfoiled stones & came in crystal, glass & basic rhinestones so an open back does not always mean a more expensive stone was used like diamonds. A quick test for diamonds   if you place the piece close to your mouth and breath heavy on the stone like polishing  reading glasses a true diamond will barely fog and clear quickly other clear stone totally fog and clear slowly, This is just an indicator to have a jeweler inspect the stone if fog test indicates it may be a diamond. Your piece from the look of the metal and stones I would say rhinestone set in gold tone metal. Here is a piece of mine done with open backs in crystal.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:58 am »
I have jewelry, mart. I make it too, but have no idea about it. Thanks for thinking so! LOL! I have a bucket full of gemstones and had to buy books to figure out what they are. Still have no clue what half of them are.  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »
Maybe it was Greenacres I was thinking about !!  Old age is setting in I guess !!!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
That's okay, mart. Maybe one day I will be an expert in something. I like art and have been trying to learn more about it.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:58:30 pm »
I knew Wendy could take care of this! She knows more than I.