Author Topic: Need Info. Saturn Vintage Table lamp Two Rings (Brass)?  (Read 3171 times)

kbohannon

• View Profile
Need Info. Saturn Vintage Table lamp Two Rings (Brass)?
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:43 pm »
Hi, another item i have that i need a little more information on please! :) A saturn table lamp with two brass rings around it unstead of one...(unusual?) I've seen the glass saturn lamps with on ring around them that seem to be valuable and collectable, but none like this.
Unstead this one has two brass rings around it, and im not sure what material its made from (for the planet) red part. I think the circle is made from either metal or some type of glass, its hollow though.
If anyone knows about these or has or can find any info. on this it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need Info. Saturn Vintage Table lamp Two Rings (Brass)?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »
If you google "saturn lamps" you will see the kind that are collectable !! They were made for the worlds fair in 1939 !! Many different companies made variations of these !! Even into the 60`s and later some types were  still being made !!
Yours was probably made late 40`s or 50`s and I would bet its a heavy tin that has been painted and the rings were once brass plated !! Yours has some condition problems as the finish is poor and the plating has about worn off !! Value wouldn`t be much in its condition !! Shade, if in excellent condition would be worth more than the lamp !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »
Did a quick search and couldn't find yours, but found the base to one of my lamps in the process! The worlds fair one that mart mentioned. My planet is missing.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

kbohannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »
If you google "saturn lamps" you will see the kind that are collectable !! They were made for the worlds fair in 1939 !! Many different companies made variations of these !! Even into the 60`s and later some types were  still being made !!
Yours was probably made late 40`s or 50`s and I would bet its a heavy tin that has been painted and the rings were once brass plated !! Yours has some condition problems as the finish is poor and the plating has about worn off !! Value wouldn`t be much in its condition !! Shade, if in excellent condition would be worth more than the lamp !!

Yeah i forgot to mention that thats all i could find out about it too (at least the worlds fair) saturn lamps. So do you think that this lamp is worth at least $40? I'm just trying to find a ball park range for this lamp.
Thanks for the help guys! ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:33:34 pm »
It could be worth that, but like I said,, most of the value is in that shade !! Lots of people like those retro shades !! It just has to be in really good condition !! http://www.meteorlights.com/lampshade-styles/  This site has fiberglass shades similar to yours but are new !!  Yours is an original retro shade !! I don`t think it originally was with that lamp because it seems the wrong shape !! Shade for your lamp would be shorter and more drum shaped !! You can see them at the site I gave you !!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:06:25 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:10:07 pm »
I can attest that lamp shade is from the late 50's to early 60's...we had the same style in our family room growing up and it came on black/gold metal lamps (same time blonde furniture was in style)!  Definitely not this kind of lamp....but it was very popular style!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 07:08:40 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:16:42 am »
I would certainly disagree with the person on that 1920`s date !! But they are similar to the one in question !!

kbohannon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 06:42:19 pm »
Ok I just took a closer look at my Saturn lamp and around the light fixture it says "press" then on the opposite side has "JG" with a circle around it and 250w 250v underneath.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
That has to do with the metal fixture that holds the bulb !! Whoever made the lamp itself did not make those !!  You press the sides to take it out and replace it !!

kbohannon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:41 pm »
So I just unscrewed the top metal light fixture and the sphere comes apart! Two halves, it separates in the middle of the two brass rings!!! Very neat!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
Sounds like me !!  Gotta take things apart to see how they are made !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »
Me too!!!  Love to tinker with them!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!