Author Topic: Eugene Fromentin picture, need help.  (Read 1584 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Eugene Fromentin picture, need help.
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
I bought this in the late 60's or early 70's when the old Topeka Library used to sit on the Capitol Grounds awaiting the wrecking ball. They had cleaned out all the nooks and crannies and the public could come in and buy anything they wanted.  I think I paid a dollar for this picture and a ragged paper folder it came in.  My question is what is it?  It looks like a print but is done in shades of white, black and grey. Using http://www.steveartgallery.se I found that it was a painting called "Falcon Hunting in Algeria, "The Quarry."  The original painting was over 5' tall.  My pictures leave a lot to be desired as I chose not to remove it from the frame and scan it which I may to show the fine detail of his picture.  The other pic is a piece of the folder it came in with the printing which is definitely earlier than the date I bought it.  I'm getting all the things I don't need ready to go to the Thrift Store and if this has no value, off it goes.  If a good clear pic would help I'll take it out of the frame.  Thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Eugene Fromentin picture, need help.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:44 pm »
This painting was also reproduced in the 1800`s as a wood engraving !! Can you take a pic of one of the corners that shows the paper type well in a mid range of the color ?? Most of these would have the engravers name and the title of the painting on the border !! Could be worth a few dollars if its an original wood engraving !!  Almost have to be taken out of the frame to see if it is marked by the engraver !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »
OK Mart I'll do that in the morning.  I think the detail in this will surprise you.  I neglected to note the size of this, its about 8" X 12".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »
Size is about right for a woodblock engraving as most are quite small !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:56 am »
Here's a little better picture than the first.  I looked around the perimeter of the item but  could detect no writing or printing  The paper this is printed on is very thin, about half the thickness as my present printer paper.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 06:04:12 pm »
It is nicely detailed,, isn`t it ??  But,,when I enlarged it the weave of the paper was even and does look like a print and a fairly modern one,,1900`s anyway !!  Or,, it appears not to have a border as one would expect with a print !! That leaves the question,, was it taken from a book and framed !! Its not as big as most prints and the thin paper could indicate that it was in an illustrated book that perhaps had seen better days and was removed and framed to keep it from deterioriating !! During the Victorian era and even before it was common to  do this !!  Many book illustrations and even bibles had that thin type paper !!  Not much more that tissue paper !!  With no name to indicate who did this print,, value would be minimal !! Maybe $10. to $20. !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
No, it wasn't taken from a book.  When I bought it it was in a sort of a folder.  If you can imagine a large piece of rather heavy paper maybe 14" X 24" folded in half.  On the front marked in old style printing "Arab Falconers." on the inner last page the thin sheet of paper with the print secured to the paper with some sort of adhesive. The outer folder was ragged, so I bought a $10 oaken frame, cut the last page to fit the frame, glued the part with "Arab Falconers" on the back of the frame.  It probably is a print tho .  Thanks for the opinions.