Author Topic: Ornate Classical Golden Frame  (Read 2238 times)

anywherenoone

• View Profile
Ornate Classical Golden Frame
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:55 am »
So I found this frame in a hotels garbage the other day.  It's an enormous classical golden frame. Two minor scratches that would easily be puttied over. Originally for a mirror, but could be easily turned into a picture frame. 62.5inX50.5in Exterior perimeter, 48inX36in Interior dimensions.  I just sold it on craigslist for $550 and now I'm just waiting for the check so I can ship.  Did I ask for too little? Does anyone know what a frames like this would go for new?

Pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/zqX2m

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:11:21 pm by anywherenoone »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Ornate Classical Golden Frame
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »
Can you please poist your pics on this site ?? The imaging site you used crashes my computer every time I try to look at your pics !! I think others have had problems with it as well !! Posting here is easy from your reply !!

anywherenoone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »
Can you please poist your pics on this site ?? The imaging site you used crashes my computer every time I try to look at your pics !! I think others have had problems with it as well !! Posting here is easy from your reply !!

sooo sorry about that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:50:19 pm »
Thanks !!  Its a beautiful frame and I would say you did quite well for something found in the trash !!  It appears to be a composition molded frame rather than wood although it may have a wood base !! You didn`t show the back so hard to tell !! Sometimes these are coated with a layer of gesso before they are finished with the gold color and antiqued !!  New from a gallery it might cost $750. up !!  But hotels don`t buy from galleries so their price would be quite a bit less than that because they usually buy several at a time direct from the makers !!  I would say price you sold it for was a bit high but that would depend on where you are and how bad someone wanted it !!  Still you did well !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 02:53:06 pm »
in this economy I think that was a great price to get
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

anywherenoone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:50:28 pm »
That is so great to hear!!! Thanks for your input.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
That is gorgeous! Nice to see them selling at that price!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 08:19:07 am »
A check so you can ship? This is a typical scam that is being pulled on you. Whatever you do, do not cash the check and send them any money. Do not give them any of your personal information and wait several weeks for the check to clear your bank properly before your ship it. A disclaimer about this particular scam is listed at the top of CL, usually. Anyways, the frame is marvelous. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:21 am »
Thats right !!  Forgot about all those scams Hosman !!  If you even try to put those checks in your bank it can cause trouble !! I would tell them to get a USPS money order then take it to the PO and have it checked !! You can usually cash small ones at the post office !! Not sure about one that large !!