Author Topic: I need a little help getting started  (Read 1562 times)

ShitMcBeetle

• View Profile
I need a little help getting started
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:51 pm »
Hi all,
I am trying to research an item in my possession, but I don't really know what it is, which makes it a bit difficult. I thought it was some sort of yarn or wool spinning wheel, but it doesn't have any small spools or foot pedals. It is a medium cherry-ish stained wood and looks to be early American craftsmanship.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i358/ShitMcBeetle/IMG_2274.jpg

Let me know any thoughts.
Thanks much

cogar

• View Profile
Re: I need a little help getting started
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 04:03:09 am »
That is a "flax wheel" or flax winding wheel. The end of the spun flax thread is affixed to 1 of the 4 cross-bars on top of the spokes of the wheel and the flax is wound "round n' round" the 4 cross-bars to make a skien of flax.

The "toothed" gear wheel usually has a "clicker" for counting the number of "loops" in the skien of flax ....... but I can't see if yours has one from the picture.

Some are made with an inclosed "gear mechanism" (in a box) with an "indicator" dial on the outside of the box. Like spinning wheels, they were all handmade.

I think I once posted a picture of a "skien of flax" and a linen (flax) dishtowel that were produced by the wife's grandmother. The dishtowel was woven on a loom or more commonly called a "barn loom". 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »
cogar to the rescue!  ;)

ShitMcBeetle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »
J'Awesome! thanks for the great info Cogar. Any suggestions on where to sell something like this? (besides EBay of course)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:18 am »
A big Flea Market is always a good source for finding "primitive" buyers.