Author Topic: Any idea of value?  (Read 2547 times)

muzzey1

• View Profile
Any idea of value?
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »
I inherited this bartenders guide and would like to know the value.  I have not been able to find any info on line or from local antique dealer.  It scrolls alphabetically through drink recipes.  At the top of the scroll it says "Standard Cocktail Index, Patented, compiled by Thomas C Crowley, 11 West 42nd Street, New York NY".  At the end of the scroll it is dated 1936.  On the side of the brass knob it says "The Junior Index Made In USA "
 Can anyone help?

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Any idea of value?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:18 pm »
if you wanna make yourself a drink Id say its priceless lol.. Im sure someone will know
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »
I am guessing that the info you gave is on the paper roller and all that is on the metal is "the junior index, made in usa ?? Is that correct ??  I see that it does have the alphabet too but need to know what is on the metal part !!

muzzey1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:37:56 pm »
I am guessing that the info you gave is on the paper roller and all that is on the metal is "the junior index, made in usa ?? Is that correct ??  I see that it does have the alphabet too but need to know what is on the metal part !!

Yes, you are correct.  The info is on the scroll and Junior index is on the side of the knob.  The alphabet is on a thin brass plate above the scroll window.  The box is made of steel painted black and it has two hooked arms on the back that can prop it up or hang it from a shelf.  The box measures 3.25" wide x 2.25" top to bottom, and 1.25" deep.  The bottom/back clips off but there are no other identification marks inside or out.
What do you think?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:59:19 pm »
I have seen similar at our VFW here !! One of the bartenders had one !! The junior index I think is just a generic piece probably sold by restaurant supply companies !!  Thats why on the paper roller it says "Compiled by Thomas Crowley"  this was his home address and he just did all the gathering of information !! Don`t know why it says patented because I didn`t find a thing !! And there is no patent number nor does it say "applied for" !!  I am assuming that any restaurant/bar owner could buy the metal compartment and then purchase the info to put in it for his employees !!  I doubt that the value would be more than maybe $20. Even if its a rare piece there must be a collector base to have value !!

muzzey1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
Thanks so much for your input.  It has been a mystery to me.  Your info makes sense.  Appreciate it!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:34 am »
I waited to jump in here to see if someone had more knowledge but...

Looking on ebay, bar ware is very collectable and a few of the old bar guides have sold from anywhere from $35 to $100+ I saw the $100 book the other day but cant find it now...  This is a pretty cool little item. I bet you get between $30-$40. Maybe more...

Couple of old books I found today.... Nothing great but they sell well!

This one sold probably b/c of artwork: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-c1913-IW-Harper-Distillery-Bar-Drink-Recipe-Guide-Cocktail-/190598499327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c608e4bff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Trader-Vic-BARTENDER-S-GUIDE-Drink-COCKTAIL-Recipes-Bar-Book-HCDJ-1948-/260874341750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd528d76

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:51:21 am »
Oceans is right,, barware is quite collectable and selling it would not be a problem !! But the books listed tend to bring more since they are associated with a particular distillery or restaurant than items like this that are generic !!  If it had a bar name on it,,especially a well known one,, price could double or triple !!

muzzey1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:49 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'll look into it some more.