Author Topic: Need advice on proper repair for old desk  (Read 1834 times)

noob1

• View Profile
Need advice on proper repair for old desk
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a desk built by the Gunn Furniture Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1921. It's in decent shape for the most part, with the exception of the linoleum top that's slightly cracked. More significantly, though, there's a possibility that the linoleum may have asbestos in its adhesive. I bought the desk for its character, so I don't have any interest in selling it for now, but I certainly don't want to diminish its resale value. I've done some googling and it doesn't seem that furniture from this company is particularly rare or sought after, despite it being around a century old.

I've talked to a couple furniture repair places about replacing the top and the two recommendations were to replace the linoleum with a wooden veneer or to cover it with a glass top. The glass top option is cheaper and preserves the original nature of the desk better, but I'm worried that I may still be at risk from the asbestos.

If anyone here could offer me advice or guide me to resources that might be of help I'd greatly appreciate it! And of course, if any additional information is necessary to get a better idea, then I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Thanks!

Oceans64

• View Profile
Re: Need advice on proper repair for old desk
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »
JMO....  Keep that in mind when reading below! 

Here's a good article: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/asbestos

I think your risk is minimal. We are all exposed to asbestos - probably on a daily basis and certainly if you live in an older home.  If it was used in the adhesive then there is a good chance it's not going to get airborne, then breathed in, then stuck in your lungs.... which is when it causes a problem. Working with asbestos on a long term daily basis is what causes cancer (generally speaking). It used to be used in many things and those that manufactured whatever product containing the asbestos are the ones who were greatly affected.  Today we worry about those removing the product from the home.

Cover it with glass and you'll be fine in my opinion....  Messing around with it should probably be left to a professional altho here is an article pertaining to that (haven't read it tho! http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/asbestos/floortile/index.html)

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:04:29 pm »
If you are out in the air and wear a mask like some use when mowing grass I personally wouldn`t worry !! After all these years it has probably turned rock hard and chances of it being airborn at any time are minimal !! Even if it were you would have to be exposed on a daily basis over a period of years for it to have an effect on health !! A single instance is not a hazard unless you have other lung problems. I have never heard of asbestos in adhesive !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:24:40 am »
Mercy me, ..... too afraid to live ........ and too afraid of dying.

Believing everything the Government tells you and you will end up being a neurotic basket case.

The odds of dying as a result of an automobile accident verses breathing cancer causing asbestos is fifteen (15) times greater.

Average # of US actual vehicle deaths per year -………….. 45,000+-.
Average # of US mesothelioma cases diagnosed per year ….. 3,000+-.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:48 am »
I am with you cogar !!  I would have already had that stuff ripped off !!  Common sense should prevail in all things you do !!  Just use reasonable caution !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:08:46 pm »
We would love to see some pictures of how this turns out (when the forum photos are working again, shouldn't be too long) This might be a good one for the Projects topic.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:56:06 am »
I agree, Tales !! Would love to see it !!