Author Topic: Andrew Wyeth  (Read 1350 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Andrew Wyeth
« on: December 15, 2011, 06:18:27 pm »
I have a work well actually two works that were done by Andrew Wyeth. Of course just about anyone would hope they had an original but I would be very happy with a print as well. I took this work out of the frame and on the reverse side was another smaller image titled in the bottom left corner of the paper "Hoffman's Slough". I have been looking to see if any prints were made with an image on the reverse but all I can find is originals with images on the reverse side. First image measures 12.5" x 16". Second reverse image measures 8" x 15". Thanks, Kevin

mart

• View Profile
Re: Andrew Wyeth
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
Can`t tell much from your second pic !! What is the name of the painting, is it a watercolor ?? Is it a full scene on the back and can you get a better pic ?? Also pic of signature !! Close up of front !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:32 pm »
Hoffmans Slough is a bookplate print taken from Merymans 1968 book on Wyeth !! But I gotta ask,, does it look like this pic has been cut from a book ??  This pic is smaller that the prints that are for sale ( print value,,$20.00)  But your other image is about the same size as the book the prints were made from,, if I remember right it was 13X17 !! Look for a cut edge !!  Are they on one sheet of paper or are they separate ?? One  would hope they didn`t cut the book up especially if it was a first edition, but its a possibility if later printings were made !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:11 pm »
On the back side says Hoffman's Slough. Thats the only thing written anywhere. It is a watercolor. The image on the back does not take up the entire paper. No signature.

Darn it! The bottom edge is uneven. So I guess it was cut out of a book. They are on the same piece of paper.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »
 It is deffinately from the 1968 Merymans book. The side showing was 1 of 2 page print of Flock of Crows. So I guess they liked half of Flock of Crows over the entire Hoffman's Slough. Thanks mart!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »
Shucks !! Wish you could have gotten the whole book !!  But it was a common practice to cut and frame pics this way when people did not have much money to spend on decorative items !!  Still anything by Wyeth is worth framing so they didn`t do badly except the loss in the book !!