Author Topic: age of old family rocking chair?  (Read 2220 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
age of old family rocking chair?
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »
Hi folks! My parents gave me this rocking chair a few weeks ago and told me it had been in the family a long time.. can anyone recognize the style? the cushion and springs are a separate box unit from the rest of the chair, Im no expert but I havent seen that befor. the arm appears to have been repaired where I circled it but it fits so perfectly its hard to tell. Some of the hardware ( angel brackets under they arms ) seems like it was added later for support but Im not sure. thanks for any info!!  :) :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:19:50 pm by JoshandLila »
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: age of old family rocking chair?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:52 pm »
I would place the age back to the early 1920's, when the arts and craft style was popular.
Yours is interesting with that cutout in the back splat.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:06:42 pm »
Definitely reminiscent of Gustav Stickley style of furniture.  That cutout is not something I have seen with his chairs (only seen a few) but here is one that has it: http://www.greencraftsmandesigns.com/about%20Gustav%20Stickley%20American%20champion%20of%20the%20arts%20and%20crafts%20movement.html

Stickley furniture can bring a premium (to say the least) but proving it can be tough without a signature and there are tons and tons of look alike chairs from that era.  That said, folks with craftsman style homes love, love, love this style - Can't blame them!  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:56:44 pm »
It is similar to the craftsman style probably late 20`s through 30`s !!  Most consider these country style rather than craftsman though not a lot of difference in the two !!  Those brackets could have been added because sometimes the arm rests would lean to the outside after years of use,, but could be original !! Check the patina and grain on the wood and see if they match !! Also look and see how they were attached and if they match the rest of the chair !!  I have seen several with similar cutouts !! Maybe its a southern chair ????

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »
I just found out that I had grabbed the wrong rocking chair lol. this one my parents found in they attic of the old town "teacher-age" they bought when they got married. I guess the chair I was supposed to take is alot older, so Il be trading this week.. too bad, I kinda like this one. thanks for the link and all they info!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:28:05 pm by JoshandLila »
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »
Well at least you can tell them about this one when you trade !! I like it too !!  Love country furniture !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »
Finally got the right chair today ( as well as a truck load of other stuff ) The style seems the same so even though the backs different Im guessing its from the same time period. The cushion, which is original, is some kind of leather I think, maybe horse hide but not sure. What do ya think? is it as cool as they other one?
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:56 am »
Now here we go !!!  Very nice little mission style rocker,, much more in line with Stickley style !!  Date wise,, 20`s or 30`s I think !!