Author Topic: german antique doll logo  (Read 2576 times)

JoeHx

• View Profile
german antique doll logo
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:58:54 am »
I was wondering if anyone knew where this logo is from. It's on the box containing an old german doll. The numbers to the right of the logo read "514/152/34". The date on the logo (which I assume is the date which the company was founded) is 1893. At the bottom it just reads "Made in Germany".

Sorry about the bad picture. I only have my cell phone.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:42:43 pm by JoeHx »

mart

• View Profile
Re: german antique doll logo
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:45:20 pm »
I think the first set of numbers is the mold number, Also think the 34 is the year it was made !!  I think you are correct about the 1893 as the year the company was founded !! Have you looked on the back of the head for a makers mark or name ??  It would also help to have a description of the doll, what its made of, size, ect and a pic !! Box is good, but need to see it all !!

JoeHx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »
Here's a picture of her. She's still fastened in the box so we're reluctunt to take her out to look at the back of her neck.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:10:37 am »
Does she say mama when tipped?? the blue tag roughly translates to mummy can say.  you would need to remove the doll from the box & check the back of her neck , under her hair at back hairline and the bottoms of her feet for makers marks. In my opinion She does not appear to be worth Thousands of dollars (sorry) but she needs to be removed and inspected for more research.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:18:44 am »
Just from the photo, she looks like a nice celluloid doll in ethnic costume, that on today's market might be worth around $150 to a collector. (Take my two cents worth of opinion for what's it worth.)

JoeHx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »
Thank you for the reply. She does not say mama when tipped. She has sleepy eyes. She has never been out of the box and after speaking to an antique dealer taking her out would decrease her value. So I am told. She was found in the attic of our house with other WWII items. I am hoping that someone will have an idea of the maker by the logo on the box. Thanks again any and all advice is appreciated.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:57 am »
Believe you have a German doll made of celluloid that was very popular  from late 1800's to appx 1930's - yours being the later style.  There were MANY Germany manufacturers...Ger many produced the most celluloid dolls then the US came in second in production.  Not familiar with the company logo.  Will keep looking.

Yours highly resembles this German Celluloid Doll which was typical of the style and clothing.

Need to give more details to us about clothing/body materials/etc.

As for what the antique dealer told you...the doll is more valuable if kept with the original box!  However, if it can be put into the box it can be carefully removed to inspect and put back in dependent on how it is fastened in.  Was it put in with heavy plastic binding?  If so....she is later 90's than expected.  Your doll should have some markings on the back of the head or on the body.  Every company by production time of celluloid would leave a mark on their doll at some place.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:24:23 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:17:48 pm »
KC is right !!  As long as she is taken out carefully, and the box is not torn or otherwise damaged, it is fine to look for the mark, then just put her back !!   Collectors would be the first to look at the back of the head to see who made her !!  How else are they going to find out !! Trust me,,,even they do not  know all the makers marks and the label is no help !!  They do reasearch same as we do !!  I have looked and have not found it yet even in some of the German doll sites !!