Author Topic: Karpen Furniture Chicago - What is this Humidor or Childs Writing Desk?  (Read 1998 times)

agreeneyes

I'm not sure what this is at first I thought it might be a humidor because of the hole in the back, I did have the plug but somehow it's gotten misplaced, but now I'm not sure.  It's made by Karpen Furniture from Chicago and has it's original finish and is 29 inches tall and 17 inches wide.  The wood on the corner is split through and has been glued.  From what I've been able to find I believe this dates around 1920's-1930's.  What would be the value of the this and the age, thank you

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Karpen Furniture Chicago - What is this Humidor or Childs Writing Desk?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:40:30 am »
According to this seller on Ebay it is a humidor and he is looking for 350.00. Unless this is you. It is the identical piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-KARPEN-CABINET-HUMIDOR-W-ORIGINAL-FINISH-1900S-/380184229036?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item5884bef4ac

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:20:35 pm »
We had another one like this a few months back with slightly different style but same mfr I think !!  Can`t remember who posted it !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »
I saw something similar on Craigslist that was a telephone table. It was from the 1920's and could be ordered with the "new" phones that did not require use of a handcrank, but were placed by an operator. The hole in back could be for a phone line.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »
Have to agree that if it has a hole in it (and it was original) that it was most likely intended for a phone cabinet.  Monterrey style.

Most humidors were lined with metal or ceramic.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:14:30 pm »
If it were for a phone it would not have had a door !! And the hole would have been at the bottom where the line attached on the phones  !!  We discussed on the other posting if possibly it could have been a liquor cabinet !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:43:25 pm »
Oh contrare my dear Mart!
I have quite a few photos of them I have taken over the years...and they are all out the back on the ones I have encountered.  They are generally ornate with rounded or more ornate tops - that rules them out for bedside tables when they have a door and a drawer.  In addition, being from the true south...I have encountered many a one over the years.  The door on this style doubles as a writing surface and the drawer holds the pens/paper/etc.  There are different ones/styles out there....  The instrumental question here is "was the hole original"...then I say it is a telephone cabinet.  If it wasn't...then I vote liquor cabinet.

This is a more ornate one I found online...and if they had posted the innerds I bet my next piece of banana bread that it has the hole out the back!

This this one...American Made
http://www.telephonecollector.info/collectionsite/specialty_items/stickcab.jpg
American Made One: This is a very special candlestick telephone cabinet, designed to "hide" the phone from view.  The back slides up so that the connected phone can be placed in the cabinet with cords exiting the back.  The phone sits on a slide-out shelf.  To the side of the phone is a pocket for phone books.  Below the phone is a drawer for storing desk items.  There is a decal in the drawer with the name of the manufacturer, Imperial Furniture Company, made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  There is also a small stool that fits between the legs of the desk.  This one is very tastefully ornate with some door design and other subtle features, suitable for most any home decor.  I bought this in Las Vegas in an antique store in 1990.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:36:54 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 05:50:52 pm »
I wasn`t talking about its not having a hole,, I was talking about where the hole is !! Even the candlestick phones connected to the line at the base, not the top where the hole is on this one !!