Author Topic: whats the age of this old table?  (Read 2005 times)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
whats the age of this old table?
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
Hi folks! Happy New Year!! We were peeking through the thrift store on Friday and saw them bring this old table out from the back. They only wanted $3 for it so I grabbed it as soon as they set it down. Had quite a few people tell us in the store it was quite a score and I was lucky I saw it before them so I was just curious how old this might be? Here it is the way we brought it home
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: whats the age of this old table?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:23 am »
heres a few shots of they underside. all the screws are slotted and the nuts for the bolts are square
H. G. Wells

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:13:06 am »
... and heres the top after I ruined a few white rags cleaning it up... it was REALLY dirty. The spots on the surface faded when it dried. Amazed at just how sturdy this table is, and the top is still pretty flat. What do you think?
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:36:40 am »
From what I can see it looks like a late 30`s to 40`s country style drop leaf !!  That type of turned leg was used even into the 50`s !! I would bet that it at one time had a veneered top and was later reworked after the veneer possibly started coming off !!  Did it have casters ?? Most did !! These could be used as work/breakfast tables in the kitchen and leaves were dropped and rolled against a wall when not needed !!

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »
Thanks Mart! It didnt have casters and there arent any holes under the legs to mount them, and I couldn't find any wear marks on the outside where they would have fit over the legs so my guess is no. Any idea whats up with the paint job?
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »
There was a time both then and now that furniture was painted on the bottom and wood left natural on top !! Probably they were just following the style without having to buy a new table !! Looks like it has been repainted several times over the years !! Red and white have always been popular colors although usually a deeper red !! Not fire engine red !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:05:57 am »
I believe what you have there is 40's or 50's drop leaf kitchen table.

And being a kitchen table is why so many different coats of paint on it.

If it had a drawer in the end of it ..... it would be called a drop leaf farm table. The drawer was more often than not ...... used to keep the silverware (knives, forks, spoons) in.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:40 am »
Thanks for they info, we appreciate the help!! any value to it in this condition if we decide to resell it?
H. G. Wells

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 11:16:32 am »
If you can fix the top where it has started to warp on the edges and sand and clean the top,, nice coat of paint on bottom !! You probably could find a buyer !! Country kitchens still use that style !!  Might bring  $65 to $85 !!  Not a killing but not too bad for a three buck find !!