Author Topic: antique doorbell  (Read 1246 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
antique doorbell
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:14:22 am »
i took this doorbell off my house because it was abandoned and a different doorbell was put in. my house was built in 1880 and was wondering if this could be the original doorbell or possibly earlier or later. when trying to unscrew it, i scratched some patina and it looks like brass. the screws look hand forged because the groove is not in the exact center of the screw. there is another doorbell exactly like this but square shaped on the other door to my house and may take that one off as well. any idea of the age or value of a doorbell like this? thanks
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:16:27 am by rsorgel »

rsorgel

• View Profile
Re: antique doorbell
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:19:15 am »
more pics

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »
Do you have the actual chime or buzzer still located in the house? That would give a good indication of the age as it will have a name like Edwards or Rittenhouse inside it. Most old electric door bells were from the 30s and later although they have been around since 1900. The first one was invented in 1831 but did not catch on. Early devices were mechanical like the twist type bell and the knocker. Even regular clapper bells would be used to signal the homeowner of an arrival.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:39:42 pm »
You beat me to it frogpatch!  Great info!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:10 am »
I agree, it is probably a later addition to your house. Prior to electricity there were door knockers of course, and some mechanical doorbells.
Antiqueaholic in recovery