Author Topic: Looking for what something is called  (Read 2433 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Looking for what something is called
« on: January 07, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »
   I am just about to start searching for what to call something I will be posting tommorow at goodwill.  First I have not pictures yet, was just handed them at the end of the day, but can have some pics in the morning.  These look like little cards, came in a lot of post cards.  These card are a bit smaller then post card, but look like postcard on the front, but on the back is advertisment for different stuff, some for Singer sewing Company, some were even what appears to be medicine, and even what appears to be wine.  The lot they came in the post cards were dated early century, but there are lots of these little cards in there too.  Again sorry no pics, but thought I would ask, before I go searching around myself.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Looking for what something is called
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:01:13 pm »
Wouldn`t they be "trade cards"  used as advertisment ??

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:08:03 pm »
   I did find some on Ebay that was close, called advertiment cards, and many added Victorian Trading cards in the title.  But most of these, the front was a picture of what they were trying to sell.  I will have to look again tomorrow, but from what I remember the front of the card, was more like picture and art, and the back was selling the item, i.e. a picture of a art scene but the back was advertisment for singer sewing machine.   

Thor

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »
Just an off the top of the head thought, but are the fronts of places people would go (a hotel, a garden, a park, etc.) for touristy reasons?  Then the Singer company might have printed memento cards of these interesting places with ads on the back.  Those cards would be in the place's "office" for tourists to take away free.
Don't know if that was done, but it is an idea.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »
   Good point, I will have to take a real close look tommorow, did not have much time to look this afternoon, so I going on glance memory per say.  sure looks like advertiment or victorian trading cards on ebay.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:32:55 pm »
They sound like Victorian trade cards to me too. Remember when we were discussing these when I was looking for the ones advertising Pinkertons Coffee to go with my coffee bin?

Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
   Yea, I remember something like that before, and I sort of also remember I "Think" another time it was talked about something like cards that came in cig. packs, this was my first impression when I saw them, but knew they were something different, I am convienced now they are Victorian Trade cards, I just put that in the goggle image search and sure looks like what they are.  Now lets hope I find one for Pinkertons Coffee  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 08:45:03 pm »
I just measured my Pinkerton's card. 4-1/2" x 3"
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »
You're lucky to have came across trade cards that weren't glued into scrap books. That was a great Victorian past time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:44:40 pm »
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/cards/trade-cards

Quite a few articles on here.

Remember that Talesof.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!