Author Topic: Henry Van Wolf Horse Head Bookends  (Read 2012 times)

firehorse

• View Profile
Henry Van Wolf Horse Head Bookends
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:07:20 pm »
Hi,  I bought a couple Henry Van Wolf horse head bookends from e-bay.  The seller indicated that they are made of bronze.  I have attached some photos of them and would like to know a bit more about them.  You will notice on the base area of one of the horses there is a peeling off of some sort of glaze that is on the horses.  I'm not sure if the bronze or metal was finished with this coppery-coloured glaze.  The horses are fairly heavy and they have Henry Van Wolf's name inscribed in both, with the copyright circled 'C' and 'SC' which I'm thinking could stand for Southern California perhaps.  

Would anyone be able to verify if these items are in fact bronze with some sort of glaze on them.  I've noticed on line there were a couple of wild cats as bookends by Van Wolf up for auction which seem to have the same coppery-toned finish.   Also, would anyone be able to put a date on them when they were possibly made and what they might be worth.  

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  

Jill

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:12:29 pm by firehorse »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Henry Van Wolf Horse Head Bookends
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:04:18 am »
Checked a few of his small items and he did use a glaze on his bronze items likely to retain its original color !!  Sale prices can vary with the economy !! I will see if I can find recent sales !!

firehorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:59 am »
Hi Mart, Thanks for your reply to my message and confirming that he did use a glaze.  I have a french bronze (unglazed) (seen on my one and only other post on this forum) and I'd never really come across the glazing process of bronzes before and wondered if this 'cheapens' the bronze piece.  I was concerned about whether it was bronze or not, because where the glaze is peeling (as seen in one of the photos), the metal seems black.  I don't mind about the damage, though, because I love the horses.   ;)

Does anyone know their approximate age? 

Thanks again, Mart!   ;D

Jill

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:11 am »
I believe he added the "Van" to his name in 1939, so your bookends would date to sometime following that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:10 am »
The Valley Artists Guild has a bit of history on him as the founder of the organization !! Did not find the year on any of his work other than the larger than life size bronzes !! Looked at sale prices of other animal bookends and they range from $75. to $120. per pair !!  Yours would be about the same !!  Bronze will darken over the years and I imagine that is why he glazed his work,, to keep it as close as possible to the way it was when made !!
Its odd that there is no year by the copyright symbol !! Although I found none of his that were dated !!

firehorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:36 am »
Thanks Rauville and Mart for helping to ascertain the year they were made and the value.  I'd read about him being the founder of the Valley Artists Guild too which is very interesting.  The glaze certainly makes a lovely feel to the bronze and the colour is very warm and coppery. 

I think I read that the 'SC' inscribed near the name means Southern California and the e-bay seller I bought them from was in Los Angeles.  Now these horses 'live' in chilly Canada! 

I appreciate your help!  Thanks very much!  ;D

Jill

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:24 am »
They are a very nice pair and hopefully will increase in value !!  Glad they have a good home !!