Author Topic: Compote maybe?  (Read 1598 times)

moregame

• View Profile
Compote maybe?
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:02 am »

hi anyone know if these are american brilliant or who the maker might be? and what it's worth
thanks again for you help

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Compote maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »
   I don't Think this would be considered as American Brilliant Glass.  Sometime this can be hard to tell from a picture for sure.  First American Brilliant glass is late 1800's to early 1900's in age, and is cut glass or crystal glass.  Run your fingers along the design motif and if it has sharp edges it is cut, from the picture it appears your is pressed crystal or Glass.   Under most cases This early glass will jump out at you, far more then the contempory glass of today.   So much of this pattern glass is around, that it can be hard to find the maker, if no marks are apparent.  There are 100's of Crystal Glass and Glass makers making what is considered as pattern glass.  Yours would be considered as a compote or sometimes called a comport, and it appears to be Crystal Glass, a light tap on the edge with a fork, and listen to the sound will tell you if it is crystal and after a while even the quality of the crystal.  The quality will fall into 3 basic catagories, Glass, Crystal Glass, and Lead Crystal.  Hope this helps a bit.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:54:21 pm »
Also, look for a seam down the side...if there is one it isn't cut!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Yep !!  That one is a pressed glass compote !!

moregame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:16 pm »
thanks for the info  the smaller one does not have a seam and when you tap it rings awhile the bigger one does not sound as nice.  does anyone know the patterns? and what they would be worth
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:38:52 pm by moregame »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:25:59 am »
    Finding the pattern and maker can be a daunting task sometimes, with out marks or labels one has to guess by style first.  The first one appears to be nice Crystal, but the pattern does not look familiar even in style, good chance it is a Bohemian in origin, as to value I would say $20.00 to $30.00, could be more if ID is made.  The second one I would start by looking into Fostoria, has that look about it, but this again is a guess, and the value of the second one is a lot less, appears more like press glass.