Author Topic: help please  (Read 4161 times)

moregame

• View Profile
help please
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »
Hi all,
I want to wish everyone a happy new year and much success at everything you do.
I wanted to know if anyone know what the maker of these two item are I have tried for weeks to find any info from search engines libray and other places any help would be awesome ;D ;D
the first one is 24% lead crystal made in western germany I think its a footed cake stand not sure
the second is I don't even know maybe a sugar or salt dish

thanks all
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:47:33 pm by moregame »

mart

• View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:31:06 pm »
Can you post pics !! None showed up when I looked !! Need to see the items to help !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:49:41 pm »
Your cake stand is very similar to this one,,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicentennial-Eagle-Motif-1776-1976-Crystal-Cake-Stand-NR-/280756777113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415e687099
What makes you think its from W. Germany ??  What is that label that is on it ??
Your pics are so large that my computer can`t download them all so I haven`t seen the little one yet ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:51:11 pm »
Mart, the underside of the cake stand has the label "24% PbO,  Genuine Lead Crystal Handcut/Made in Western Germany"

"Lead glass is a variety of glass in which lead replaces the calcium content of a typical potash glass.[1] Lead glass contains typically 18–40 weight% lead(II) oxide (PbO), while modern lead crystal, historically also known as flint glass due to the original silica source, contains a minimum of 24% PbO.[2]"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

The smaller piece is a covered candy dish.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

moregame

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:51:18 pm »
HI ALL THANKS FOR THE REPLIES I WISHED I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS SITE SOONER YOU WOULD NOT BELIVE HOW MANY BOOKS I CHECKED OUT AT THE LIBARY ONLY TO COME UP EMPTY HANDED.  THANKS AGAIN, BY THE WAY ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THESE ITEMS ARE WORTH I CHECKED EBAY AND CRAIGSLIST AND LOOKS LIKE AMERICAN BRILLIANT CUT GLASS BUT THESE ARE CRYSTAL IS THAT THEM SAME?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:54:42 am »
Thanks KC !!  Only thing I can see is the first pic !!  Can`t see the rest or read the label !!   What I think is even if it was made in W. Germany,( I don`t know if the label is original or later addition) it likely was made for the American market !!  Bi centiennial stand has same design, same 13 stars, ect !!

moregame

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:22 am »
Hi, the sticker is origanal I won an auction of items from an estate sell and most are  German and Scandinavian there are a lot of pukeburk and china marked w.germany but most has no mm.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 11:40:44 am »
I thought your stand might be Imperlux but haven`t found that pattern yet !! And the sticker doesn`t match theirs !!  Are you in the U.S. ??  Reaso I ask is you can`t always depend on everything being correct at estate sales !!

moregame

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »

yes I'm in the us, the estate where it came from their background was German and Scandinavian everything was marked that way including some tables

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:16 am »
Thats a problem at estate sales !!  The auction company or whoever coordinates the sale can mark what they think an item is without actual knowledge of the item they are selling !!  Believe me !!  I have seen some that are really off the wall !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:49 pm »
After hitting the books I believe this is a hand cut piece that is from  West Germany. 1st the base has been glued to the plate top (yellow residue is visible, does not look as though it was broken and fixed. same as the one mart found on line was also glued) This would be a no way for an American made piece .  2nd I know of no American company that has done hand cut bicentennial pieces , lots of pressed glass pieces in such patterns but I have not seen or found hand cut ( does not mean they do not exist). Germany & Europe during the period of cut glass was in huge competition  with American cut glass and I feel this was a pattern they hoped would sell big here. At that time American cut glass was far superior. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 08:14:07 pm »
Thanks Wendy !!  I do not see hand cut in this piece !! It may tiny areas that have been wheel cut but it doesn`t have the look of cut glass,, just pressed and acid etched !!  I thought it may have been made for the American market and that was why the pattern was almost identical !!  That label is quite misleading !! I would give a value for this one less than $50. if that !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:47 pm »
Definitely Not American brilliant cut glass for sure!!    Being a glass collector with the base glued  I'm sorry but  I would not pay more than $5.00.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 01:05:50 am »
Not cut glass from this view!  $10 tops with the glued base.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:49 am »
Will go with your value as you can see better than I can !!  I hate dial up !!