Author Topic: Converted Antique Lamps  (Read 1826 times)

Circe

• View Profile
Converted Antique Lamps
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:14:38 am »
Here are three items I acquired from my grandparents that I don't think I could ever part with, no matter what the price.

The first is a cast iron pot belly stove that has been converted into a working lamp. It is marked on the bottom door as a Cannon No. 16 by The Wehrle Co. of Newark, Ohio. It is in beautiful condition and even still has the handle to open the top little door (we store the handle inside the bottom of the stove). Inside the pot belly is a spot for a light bulb we use as a night light. And attached is a lamp that also works. I don't know the age of the original stove or the time of conversion.

Now, I know some of these very old stoves can be upwards of $1000. But I'm sure the conversion dropped the worth dramatically. Does anyone know how to price these things? Not that it's going anywhere... Even my boyfriend fell in love with this guy!

Circe

• View Profile
Re: Converted Antique Lamps
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:34 am »
The other two pieces are antique brass oil lamps that were converted to electric. My mother remembers being with my grandparents when they purchased these from an antique store in Connecticut. She believes she was 10 at the time, and she was born in 1954. So they were already very old as of the early 60s.

The one with the rose decorated shade is stamped "Pat'd Feb 16. 97. Patent Pending." There is also a component stamped "Rayo." The one with the plain shade has no marks I can find. They are both in great working condition!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:01 am »
That's a neat use of an old stove, and I doubt if much harm was done in the conversion to a floor lamp. Those smaller stoves without nickle trim show up at times around here in the $100 - $200 range.

The converted lamps started out originally as "nickle plated, round wick, central draft, kerosene lamps". Both were probably manufactured by Bradley and Hubbard, sometime in the early 1900's. The trademark "Rayo" was used on the lamps that B & H made under contract for Standard Oil Company.

The stripping, polishing and converting of those lamps was standard operating procedure for many antique dealers at one time. Most of the value today would be as a usable decorative lamp.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:15 am »
As long as the conversion was done without drilling extra holes in the lamp,, the value is not diminished !! All that is required to put it back to an oil burning lamp is to replace the burner !! Parts are easily found online !!  These lamps should sell around $75. to $125. withn the shades !!

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »
Aw, thank you guys! As you can see from the pictures, my boyfriend and I are still getting use out of these today in our home. It is nice to know that aside from being functional and having a lot of sentimental value to me, these may actually appreciate in cash value. We have no plans to sell these, and while our decorating taste is much more modern we found room for these pieces. Hopefully they can stay in the family for years to come :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »
Even if not worth tons of money,, they are worth keeping in the family !!