Author Topic: Old Postal Scale - Made In England  (Read 4466 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Old Postal Scale - Made In England
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:20:01 am »
This is a recent purchase of an old postal scale that was made in England that I've been looking for some additional information on but have been unable to find.

What I've been able to find out is that it's an old English Roberval letter scale of which is a design made by a lot firms in a variation of styles from 1840 to about 1940. The only markings it has on it is the words "Made In England" and "Warranted Accurate".

This scale has a heavy solid brass base and the rest is made mostly from brass. It is about 8 1/2 inches wide, 5 1/4 inches deep and 3 1/2 inches tall. There were no weights with the scale when I bought it although it should have had I think a 2 ounce, 1 ounce and a 1/2 ounce weight that went with the scale and placed in the appropriate slots.

I've seen similar scales of this style with bases made of wood selling for about $65 or less but this scale has a nice fancy brass base with it. I have also found some other scales that have fancy designs selling online for hundreds of dollars. Additionally, I've also seen the weights sold separately for these scales.

My questions are who or what firm may have made this scale and what is a more precise date of when it was made. Also, what would be a fair or reasonable ballpark starting price to ask for it as I can't find a benchmark price to start with. In addition, would it make more sense to buy the weights then sell the scale with them noting that they are not original to the scale and try to get a better price for the scale?

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="734" height="1632" border="0
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:36:18 am by KevinM »

mfrog

• View Profile
Re: Old Postal Scale - Made In England
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »
Made in England usually indicates post 1921.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:36:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply mfrog. That's a good point you made. Then it's my guess that this scale is probably from around 1940.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:13:25 pm »
If you search for antique brass desk set, letter scale you will see many examples made in England but they generally have a wooden base if they are older.  The set should have included the weights with it...however things get lost over the years.

Odd there isn't a makers mark on it.  I am unable to enlarge the pictures the way they have been brought in to the site to search for any. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:19 pm »
KC, I re-size my own pictures by bringing all the images in at the same time into html code I wrote and display them all at once into my browser (Firefox). Then I take a lower resolution snap shot of the whole image within the browser to reduce the image size. Those 6 images were originally 2 MB each for a total size of 12 MB. The snap shot of the image is about 1/2 MB (572K). Sorry about the image not being able to be enlarged. Maybe you can use your browsers "View > Zoom > Zoom In" feature if it has one for pictures that are brought in like mine.

I mainly do this because I am on a dial up network which is incredibly slow and it would take me forever to upload the original images. The other reason I do this is so other people with slow dial up networks like mine don't get frustrated with the image sizes and start pounding in frustration on their keyboard.

Yes, the scale should have came with 3 weights. I noticed that a lot of things that you find that have more than 1 piece to them have 1 or more of the pieces missing including electronics that should have remote controls with them.

I looked over the scale with a loop real close and could not find a makers mark which surprised me a little bit.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:27:53 pm by KevinM »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:26:01 am »
It really is a nice piece!!!  Will look some more tomorrow!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:41:40 pm »
http://www.belowstairs.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Scales_21.html     Try emailing here for info !!  They have quite a list of different type scales including one similar but with the wood base !! The wood base scales are dated on several sites as made in 1910. Perhaps they can date it !!  I would inquire about the weights there !!  They may have them !! 

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:21:43 pm »
Thanks for the information mart!

Kevin

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
Came across this hit..........sounds like they may be newer than you'd hoped, unless there is some obvious indication of age (hand slotted screws ? )

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2010/1/Brass-Scales.htm

"Your roberval postal scale is a decorative scale manufactured in the 1960s and 1970s but copied from an antique scale from the 1800s.  The base is a very crude casting with very little detail compared to the original. The scale and weights are also modern of the same vintage.  Retail value $20-$50."

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »
I've found this pic of an antique set but am still searching for related info on it. You might want to compare the construction/details to yours.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »
Thanks sapphire, the first one looks like the scale to me! Although I'm not thrilled it's a reproduction that I have I am glad to know that information. Yep, looks like it's an exact match and I have the Vancouver Special. I don't know how you found it but I guess that's why you're among the Hero members and I'm a newbie!

The second picture of the scale looks like an original scale to me. The brass casting looks much cleaner than the one I have.

Thanks again,
Kevin

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:51:14 pm »
And thank you for the lovely compliment KevinM........but 'hero' only in number of posts (just cause I've been around a bit longer than you). Still very much a 'newbie' to all of this as well, just love the search for answers that may help in some way.

srr2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:16:33 am »
Gee, I'm just a Noob here, but may be able to contribute something anyway!

I have sitting right in front of me an otherwise identical scale on a wooden base that's definitely not more than 20 years old.  Based on the appearance of the superstructure stampings (cheap, stamped -- not machined) parts swaged (not assembled with small screws and tapped holes) together with rivets, I'd say that your item and mine were made by the same manufacturing techniques (cheap) around the same time frame.  I'd also bet you a pizza that the base is one of those Indian brass castings that you find everywhere and probably not worth a heck of a lot more than its scrap value.  The weights shown in Sapphire's picture are identical to those with my scale, also cheap (likely Indian) castings.

Sorry.....

BTW, you can verify that the parts are stamped by comparing the front and back edges.  Stampings will have rounded edges on the top side, and sharp edges on the back.  If you look at something like a Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos clock, you will find good examples of machined structural parts -- the front and rear edges of the pieces are the same.  Sharp or rounded, they're the same.  And you won't find any rivets in one of those either.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:08 am »
Post a pic of yours,, please !! The ones I found with wood base were dated much earlier !!  While yours may have been made later as just a repro,, that late it would not likely have been used for postal purposes !!  May have been made as a unit to weigh items at home though !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 09:12:54 am »
Thanks srr2, you have some good information on identifying stamped parts and the use of small screws verses rivets.

Kevin