Author Topic: Hand Painted Canvas Majorette Doll  (Read 1450 times)

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
Hand Painted Canvas Majorette Doll
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »
Can't find anything identifying, and can't find it online. Its so cool I don't even want to sell it, unless its worth a lot :) Feels like acrylic on canvas, possibly 1930s, 40s?
Any body recognize it?

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Hand Painted Canvas Majorette Doll
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »
Try using the term:"oil cloth doll" in the search. I'm guessing that your doll is from the 1940's - 50's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:33 am »
If I was you I would take this to a doll expert.  Some of these oil cloth dolls are valuable. 

I would agree with the approximate timeline on the doll that Rauville gave.  Majorettes were at their height of popularity during that time period and little girls in the 30's to early 60's aspired to be a majorette.  Having women as majorettes started in the late 1890's and was one of the few "sports" that girls could get into at that time in history.  Originally a position in the military bands where they would twirl guns, it transitioned to batons and then majority females - however some of the renowned baton twirlers have been men.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:15:08 pm »
Wow it looks like she could be valuable! That's awesome. I'll see if I can find a doll expert in town but if anyone can find any other oil cloth majorettes online that would awesome, because I can't seem to come across any.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »
I looked but found none !!  Also try doll collecting forums !!  I can check my books this evening !!