Author Topic: Antique or just interesting junk?  (Read 2274 times)

GFord889

• View Profile
Antique or just interesting junk?
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:57:35 am »
Hi,
 I have tried finding information about this piece online to no avail so I am starting to think that what I purchased at a flea market at an apple fest this weekend is just an interesting piece of junk that is going to be the centerpiece on my table for the next several years.
 It is some type of cast material and there are clearly 'seams' that you can see. It's very heavy and since there is no tarnishing, I am guessing no real silver content. I can't find anything on the stamp that I found on the bottom. It says "GIM 833". On the individual candle holders, it appears that each one is stamped "389" underneath but is covered up where it's attached to the base so I'm unsure if that is correct. I don't even know what it is for sure! I don't know if the glass bowl it came with on top is original to the piece or just placed there because it fit. I've never seen a piece like this so am relying heavily on the knowledge base of all of you here:)
 Thank you in advance for any help or information you can provide. *I apologize for the less than desirable photos.
Jan

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Antique or just interesting junk?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:02 am »
Welcome GFord!  Could you take some clear close up shots of the underneath and any 'construction' methods.......joins, screws, etc. Those would help members determine age.

Beautiful victorian looking piece and a great compliment to your table.  Love the stove behind it too ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
Magnificent Silver Centerpiece Candelabra w/ Glass Bowlwww.worthpoint. com/.../magnificent-silver-centerpiece-candelabra-w...  This one has the same mark and is on the same order as yours !! Your centerpiece is much nicer that this one and does appear to be Victorian or at least in that style !!  Bowl looks to be EAPG but repro`s were made mid 1900`s of many patterns !! Not that it makes a great difference in this piece since it is true to period !!

GFord889

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »
I did take some more detailed photos. Candelabra has "389" stamped on underside of floral shaped bobeches on sconce arms. Bottom is stamped GIM 833. I found a website that states 833 is a Dutch stamp for silver or sterling silver. This piece weighs 1766 grams or 3 pounds, 14 1/4 oz. It appears as if the arms of the candelabra were 'cast'. It appears to have smooth seams along the sides. I tried to capture these as well in the photos. I will attach as many photos as allowed. Thanks in advance for any insight or information you might have on this piece. Jan

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »
This would be great on a table for a fancy dinner. Imagine it with white taper candles and a couple of floating candles or some flowers in the center bowl.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
How about gold or silver balls in the dish and gold or white tapers for the Holidays?  Even greenery and pinecones. Great decorative piece. I would definitely use it for special occasions.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 10:32:34 am »
I havent been able to find anything on the GIM letters it has on it !!  Looked all day yesterday and found zip !!!