Author Topic: What the heck IS this?  (Read 2864 times)

ASK64

• View Profile
What the heck IS this?
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:11 am »
This item was in a box lot that we picked up at a recent auction.  I've been searching the web all morning trying to identify it and have had no luck.

Made of metal (stainless?), approximately 8 inches in length.  The cylindrical piece slides up from the stationary bottom leaving about a one and a half inch opening.  The bottom piece is solid and cannot be removed.

There is a very small stamp on the handle up near the loop...appears to say something like PAT. JAN.7.1912 or JAN.2.1912....a search of the patent database didn't seem to return any viable results.

As you can imagine, there has been some hilarity over the speculation of what this could be.  I'm attaching 3 photos (hopefully they come through) and would appreciate any help that you all can give me.  Thank you!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile

ASK64

• View Profile
Re: What the heck IS this?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:44:09 am »
Thank you so much!  I really appreciate the help.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:58:31 am »
Awesome Sapphire!! way to go!! :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:31:33 pm »
You got it Sapphire !!  Some of these younger people have not seen milk in cream top bottles !!

ASK64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »
Very true, Mart...sometimes we buy milk in bottles from the local dairies in our area, but we haven't come across any modern cream tops in the dairy case.   ;)
We did stump some of our "older" friends with this...even those who grew up on dairy farms or worked in the dairy industry.  So I don't feel TOO dumb for not knowing what it was.  LOL.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:20:28 am »
Moooooooo!   Great Job Sapphire!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »
Neat little item to have !! Wish I could find one around here !! I have an old original dazey churn and a few milk bottles !! Would make a nice display with my wooden butter molds !!

ASK64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:41 pm »
mart, I think we lucked out...I don't think that anyone knew what the cream dipper was, so it got tossed into a box lot with what was mostly junk.  Although we also got an old small-size (hand) meat grinder and a pair of vintage black plastic holders for cone-shaped paper cups (made by Paper Container Mfg Co, Chicago in the pre-Solo days) out of that same box.  So not a bad buy for $5.   ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:41:16 pm »
Not bad at all !!! I love boxes like that !! There are so many surprises in the bottom its like Christmas !! LOL

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:24:06 pm »
Your cream dipper is one of the more intricate ones...here's a nice display of almost all the kinds for skimming the cream...
http://dairyantiques.com/Milk_Bottle_Go_Withs.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »
Great link KC, very informative!   :)

About ASK64's.........

"The second dipper shown above was modified to solve this problem.  The second one of these is stamped with a January 2, 1912 patent date. The idea behind this one is the cone bottom of the cup separates from the cylinder section of the cup. The bottom of the cone was opened when you pushed the device in the cream. This would displace less cream and result in less cream being spilled over the top of the milk bottle and less skim milk being mixed in the cream. When the device was fully submerged, you closed the cone tip against the cylinder and lifted a full scoop of cream out of the milk bottle. The cup again held just one ounce.  This patent was granted to Lott Mansfield of Hingham, Massachusetts.  The device was now advertised as the Chapin Modified Cream Dipper and was sold by The Chapin Modified Cream Dipper Company of Boston, Massachusetts.  They were marketed to doctors in hopes they would recommend them to mothers to use in preparing modified milk for their children.  The advertised price was 50 cents.  The Walker-Gordon Company used these cream separators as a marketing tool."