Author Topic: Doors age?  (Read 5883 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Doors age?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 04:59:40 am »
Thank you all for your responses. So, the consensus is pretty much that they could actually be 18th century but I can't really be sure unless they are seen in person? Too far away for me to see them and I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyways! I will write them and ask them a couple questions. I'll let ya'll know what they say. ;)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:07:59 am »
LOL @ I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyways!

Yes, ask the seller why they think the doors are 18th century, do they have a return policy, etc. After all that & you still want them, offer 1/2 or 2/3s of what they are asking because shipping on something like that is not going to be cheap, trust me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:53:06 am by jacon4 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 06:10:35 am »
I forgot to say thank you for the links, jacon! Absolutely amazing hardware. I found this latch. Based on their other listings, the sellers seem to be fairly knowledgeable about hardware. So, I tend to believe them that they think it is a later piece. Man, it would be really amazing if it were 18th century. It's still very nice considering the craftsmanship but I won't be bidding on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Wrought-Iron-Indian-Chief-Head-Feather-War-Bonnet-Suffolk-Thumb-Latch-yqz-/290665175874?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item43acfe9b42#ht_18982wt_1392

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05:18 am »
Hosman,
Yeah, its virtually impossible to authenticate old objects with photo's alone, it's one of those is what it is kinda deals. To check out why this is, look at video in "Questions about maker of federal card table" in this forum and you'll see why personal inspection is really the only way to evaluate old objects.
It's the same for your doors as it is for almost any object. This is why, if one is not familar or cant examine in person, trust in what seller says is really all thats left, which is not ideal unless its a seller you trust.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:06:50 pm by jacon4 »