Author Topic: What Is This Figurine Used For?  (Read 2383 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
What Is This Figurine Used For?
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:11:06 pm »
OK, I know this may be a dumb question because at a glance it looks obvious (at least to me I thought it was until I looked at it more). I purchased this at the thrift store recently and thought it was a stoneware figurine with a ceramic or porcelain coating. After bringing it home I noticed that each eye had a hole in it so I immediately thought a salt or pepper shaker.

But then after a little more thought I began to think that it didn't seem to make sense that it was a salt or pepper shaker since the figurine lays on it's side and any contents would come out the eyes when filled. Also, I noticed that there was a hole that ran through the hand of the figurine that was stretched out as if it was holding something up at one time or be used to hold something up.

The hole in the bottom could have had a plug to retain salt or pepper but it did not come with the figurine. I have no idea of its age. It could be fairly new, old, vintage, retro, etc... It does seem to be made fairly well although there are no makers marks or any other marks to help identify it. The figurine is about 5 inches long and 3 inches tall to where the tip of the hand reaches out.

Does anyone have any clues or ideas as to what it really is, where this was made, its age, who the maker or manufacturer was, if it was used as some type of promo item, etc...?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="701" height="1661" border="0

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Re: What Is This Figurine Used For?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:06:25 am »
I've never seen one before but it looks like a promotional items from the 1940s-1950s. It's possible that it used to hold a small flag (possibly American, maybe the brand being advertised), and more than likely came in a matched pair. Usually salt and pepper shakers have a more cylindrical inside hollowed out so that the contents would not get hung up on weird angles.

I could be totally wrong. Hopefully one of the many more intelligent people can chime in.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:55 am »
This reminds me of a salt and pepper set I have from my aunt from the 60's. It was a tourist item from Florida, two squirrels that hung on a 'tree'. Although mine would sit on a level surface when taken off I have seen another similar that would not.  Despite the odd shape it could possibly be from a pair that hung on some sort of stand. Maybe there was an attachment of sorts through the hole in the hand.

Here is a shot of the pair that would not likely sit 'level' once taken off their stand.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:34:30 am »
rockandrollrods, that's a good point about the "cylindrical inside hollowed out so that the contents would not get hung up on weird angles". This does have a lot of angles inside of it when I look into it.

sapphire, I'm not sure the hole in the hand is used to hang it with but I guess it could have been. It just seems that the hole location and the bottom of the figurine would not post up to anything like that of the squirrels you posted.

I think there was an other piece to this that went in its hand. Perhaps as rockandrollrods said a flag or a brand advertisement. Also, I think it's a bit strange to use the eyes as the shaker holes but I guess there are probably a lot of them out there like that.

Thanks!

Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:41:49 am by KevinM »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:28:30 am »
Could also be an unusual pie bird!!!  Feet are planted in the pie and the eyes are for the release of steam!  They have made all kinds...unique and odd!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:34:23 am »
Nice call KC! I hadn't thought of that!
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:44:32 am »
KC I've never heard of a pie bird!  Really had me googling after that one!   ;)

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 07:49:57 am »
KC, wow, I never knew that pie birds existed! Thanks for that information! This could be a pie bird of an "unusual", "unique and odd" flavor since it lays on its side and has holes in the eyes. It does have the looks and feel of being vintage but you never really know for sure these days.