Author Topic: What Type Of Stones Are These Made From?  (Read 1396 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
What Type Of Stones Are These Made From?
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:15:55 am »
I purchased these recently and was looking for some more information about them. I realize these may be a little too new to post here but I am really interested in the types of stone these are made of and thought someone would know. The 2nd one of the snuff box may be vintage but I'm not sure, it certainly would be post 1950 I think so I thought I would ask about the stone mask while I was asking about the snuff box.

The first one of the mayan mask I know has mother of pearl inlaid but the green multiple color stone I am not sure of. Is it green onyx, malachite or some other type of stone? It's dimensions are about 4 inches in height and about 3 1/4 inches wide.

The second one of the snuff box (trinket or stash box) I think could be red jasper but again I am not sure. Is it red jasper, quartz or some other kind of stone? It's dimensions are 4 inches wide, 3 inches in depth and about 1 1/2 inches in height.

Also, if anyone would know of the approximate value of either of these that would appreciate too.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="717" height="2004" border="0

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: What Type Of Stones Are These Made From?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
They appear to be made from steatite (soapstone).

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:15 am »
Rauville, they could be soapstone, I thought about that but the red box doesn't have the feel of soapstone as I know it. I've seen red jasper that looked almost identical to the red box stone but it's really hard for me to tell if it is. The mask has a clear coat on it so I can't tell but that certainly may be what that is.

Thanks

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:35 pm »
Both look like soapstone to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!