Author Topic: Bedroom set - appraisal  (Read 2987 times)

Tiger14

• View Profile
Bedroom set - appraisal
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »
I have a bedroom set (bed and dresser w/ mirror) that, upon some investigation, lends itself to being 120+ years old.  Each piece has a tag on the back reading, "ALDRICH'S FURNITURE EMPORIUM  100 to 104 Main Street  Jamestown, NY".  The set has been babied for 40 years and before that it was in long term storage from the best I can gather.  I have attached pics...
On the bottom of one of the drawers someone has written in pencil, "For my birthday Nov 10, 1890"... I have no other info on that text.  The date, however, does place the manufacture date right at the time Aldrich's Fur Emp was in its hayday.  Wooden wheels, beveled/rotating mirror on dresser, drawers have locks, good shape set.  I'm certainly not an expert and have never done this before... I'm just looking to get an appraisal and market the set.
Thanks for any help.

matty77

• View Profile
Re: Bedroom set - appraisal
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:53:24 pm »
Nice set!  To help you date these, please provide pictures of the following:

1)  The way in which the rails attach to the headboard / footboard of the bed
2)  The drawer joinery of the dresser
3)  The back of the dresser
4)  If possible, the underneath of the dresser

Thanks!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »
The experts here will need pictures to see how it was constructed to verify the age. Needs pics of the dovetails on the drawers, backs of the pieces and any nails or screws used.

Never mind I was beaten. lol

Tiger14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »
Will do... I'll have the additional pics posted later this evening.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
That age would be about correct 1890 to 1900 give or take a few years !! Its a nice little Eastlake / Craftsman type set in oak which is always a good thing !! And the bed is a high back,, also good !! Are there only two pieces ?? Bed and dresser ??

Tiger14

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:25 pm »
That is correct... only the two pieces.  I do have an old dry sink that mom kept with the set... it's not part of the set, but it does have wooden wheels and reflects a good bit of age as well.  I'll post pics of that later as well.

Tiger14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »
Here are pics for the bed rail attachments and drawer joinery... I'll post on of the back tomorrow from wk.  Also, I posted a pic of a dry sink.  Hope this helps.

matty77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »
Thank you for the additional pics.  As it turns out, Mart was correct.  Based solely on the pictures, I would place these pieces somewhere from the 1890s to the first few years of the 20th century.  However, the note on the drawer bottom warrants additional discussion.  It is not IMpossible that these pieces were both made and sold in 1890, but the advances of stamped steel bed rail hooks AND machine-cut dovetails were both VERY new at that time.  In fact, they were only in wide use so late in the 19th century that they are usually just considered 20th century attributes.  That being said, Jamestown would have likely been a launching ground for new technology, so it is possible that the note on the drawer bottom is authentic.

I love it when old furniture has attributable history like this!  Very fun!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:50 am »
Its late Eastlake, guesses 1900, +/- 10 yrs. Eastlake was a british architect & furniture designer who published a book which became all the rage in the late 19th century. Although he did not manufacture furniture, many did using his ideas on design.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 10:29:34 am »
Nice little oak wash stand !!  If I wanted to sell them I would sell it all as a set !!  Here in my area the bed, dresser would bring around $450. to $500. Wash stand,, about $125. to $150. !! What it would sell for in your area could be more or less than those figures !! I would price similar pieces at a shop or two and then determine a comparable sale price !!  But keep in mind that shops are always going to be higher than individual sales !!

Tiger14

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
Thanks to all who replied... I really do appreciate the expert and the historical info.  Again, I've never done this before so it's nice to know that there are avenues like this one to get expert help.
I plan on marketing the set so I'll visit around local antique shops... I live in Hartselle, AL so we have our fair share here!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:51 am »
You are in the south so those prices should be pretty close !!  I am in Texas so should not be too much different !!  For some reason people seem to like those high backed beds !!  Good luck !! Let us know how it goes !!