Author Topic: Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery Vase Question  (Read 1314 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery Vase Question
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:12:38 pm »
This a Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery Vase I purchased from the thrift store the other day. It's marked R.R.P. Co Roseville, Ohio 291-10 and is about 10 Inches Tall and 6 Inches Wide at the top and just under 4 1/2 Inches Wide on the base. It's a hefty heavy vase and weighs in at about 4 Pounds 10 Ounces. I think its known as a Stack Vase.

From what I know it's a vase made by Robinsin-Ransbottom from a mold purchased from the Weller liquidation sale in 1948. The vase is in a nice Green Matte Finish (Soft) and is in I think excellent condition with a few minor issues. I have seen a vast swing in prices for these types of vases from the few I've seen ranging from about $20 up to I think $195.

Although, I have only seen 2 white ones with this model or mold number on it. The brown one didn't have a mold number I think. I have not seen another green one or any others. Some of the ones I have seen seem to be a 1/4 to 1/2 inch larger in size (Height/Top Width/Bottom Width).

My question is what time period might have this vase been made? I don't know how long Robinsin-Ransbottom used the mold for. Also, what might be the value of this vase.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="761" height="1692" border="0

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery Vase Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »
   This for sure falls into the catagory known as Mid century Pottery.  Which has been on the rise the past few years, people are starting to snag this stuff up pretty fast.  Overall any nice piece of Mid century pottery that shows up at our thirft store has a very short life span.  Though not worth much overall, you can get some nice pieces for under $10.00.  I personally have a moderate sucess with flipping Mid centrury pottery on Ebay, not big money but a few bucks.  Yours is a really cool and unique piece that I would say could get you $20.00 on a o.k. day.  If I was to place a date it would square in the middle of the Mid century pottery 1950's

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Robinson-Ransbottom Pottery Vase Question
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »
Thanks for the information ironlord1963! The thing with this vase is I was on the fence about buying it because it was so heavy, it was not a glazed finish and it was definitely a molded piece.

I didn't know about the Weller legacy behind the vase and R.R.P Co buying the mold at that time. But, I still thought the vase was very nice and it looked and felt mid century to me so I took a chance and sure enough it was a mold piece although it was a legit one like I thought it might be.