Author Topic: More Painting Help Please!!!  (Read 2840 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
More Painting Help Please!!!
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »
This might be a really stupid question. I have two paintings by the same person Harold Laynor. I originally thought they were oil paintings on masonite but after reading more about the artist I'm starting to think they could have been done with lacquers. The askings prices between his oils and lacquers is pretty significant. So I would really like to know what I have here before I try and sell them. How would I be able to tell the difference between an oil and a lacquer painting?

mart

• View Profile
Re: More Painting Help Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »
Where are you getting your information on prices ??  Medium used is usually only important if you are the one buying the picture !! Some like watercolors and some like oils !! Size, technique and subject matter are the usual determining factors !!  This man worked in all mediums,  mixed media, wartercolors, oils ect !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:27 pm »
The Laynor Foundation and museum sell his works and the prices they have on their lacquers seem to be nearly double what they are asking for his oils. Of course I understand they have their prices high because its a charity and I know I will not see nearly the kind of prices they are asking but why would they have the lacquers at such a higher price?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:17:08 pm »
Could be that he did a certain type using the lacquer !! There are two main types of lacquer clear and red !! Its the catalyst in auto paint and some furniture paint, Japanese lacquer ware is a good example !! Its very hard, dries fairly quickly, cleans up with alcohol and would be good if an artist wanted to layer color !! Need to know his tecnique to see why one would be higher than others !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »
Here is an article he did about working with lacquers. http://www.laynor.org/painting.php

Here are the lacquers they have for sale. http://www.laynor.org/lacquers.php

Here are the oils. http://www.laynor.org/oils.php

And the watercolors are the cheapest. http://www.laynor.org/watercolors.php

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:17 am »
OK  This is my opinion on why there is a difference between the lacquers and oil/acrylic paintings he did !!  First,, it is a different medium, so he was somewhat of an innovator in that technique !! Second,, did you notice the drama in the lacquers ??  They are very powerful paintings !!  Not so in his oils/acrylics,, they are quite tame by comparison !!  So as I said before,, it is not so much the medium used but the subject matter that counts,,as well as a few other minor things !!  Like sales records !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:18 am »
I never noticed before but I do see what you mean by the drama in the lacquers. I was more comparing sizes and prices and not really comparing the paintings themselves. Thanks for clearing that part up for me mart. I would still like to know what medium was used for these paintings. Any suggestions?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »
Yep !!  Bet cha` a coke (drinkable kind) that yours are either oil or acrylic !! Could be either !! Once they have been applied and dried almost impossible to tell !!  Acrylics are sometimes a bit shinier than oils if used in the same thickness !! But not always !!  I know this isn`t much help in that catagory !!  Why not just flip a coin !! Heads=oils,,, tails=acrylic !!!!!!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »
I already feel like I owe you a case of coke. I'll go get a coin and give it a flip. Thanks again mart.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »
LOL  Make it a diet coke !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:15 pm »
Great job mart!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:23:45 pm »
Thanks KC but there was little to do on this one !!