Author Topic: cool old photos with a ridiculous price tag?  (Read 1413 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
cool old photos with a ridiculous price tag?
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:10 am »
So I got these photos tonight and paid 3$ each, but on the back of each they have a price tag of 99$ each, along with "4x6" Original AP News Media" and "Rare Mint Condition Photo on 5x7" Matted Finish". Am I wrong in thinking that that is a ridiculous price, or is there a chance these actually have some value. They look like they were printed yesterday and I feel like I could find the photos online and do the same thing, but would never dare try to sell tim for 100$ each. What am I missing?

Ali and Malcolm X

Elvis and ??
forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who the other guy is...

mart

• View Profile
Re: cool old photos with a ridiculous price tag?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:47 am »
I believe these are Associated Press photos that were likely reprints and sold as souvenier/tourists items !!  $3. is about what they are worth !! But as tourist items,,or souveniers prices are always inflated !!  And keep in mind that they came from an antique market that likely caters to out of state tourists !!  Also if the Broadway they were located on is in NY !! That $99. may be cheap to the people there !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »
I'd tend to agree with the opinion posted by mart , as to 'real' value of your pics , pantrwrstl .

I'd say the the fellow alongside the Elvis unit is Sam Cooke .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:03:40 pm »
thats what I thought, didn't think I hit any kind of jackpot or anything, feel bad for the guy who paid 17$ each for like 6 of them after he won first choice...The broadway market is the one in Buffalo, NY, so I wouldn't think the prices would be inflated that much!

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
For NYC, the price isn't inflated.... I know that in Brooklyn this price wouldn't slide. For that matter, I was just recently at an estate sale and bought similar pics for about a buck. I have a growing interest in celebrity pictures in the shop but obviously not for 100.00... As others mentioned, those prices are for tourists who won't leave NYC to find bargains

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »
I believe you are right Fancy !!  Its been so long since I have seen a photo of Sam Cooke I forgot what he looked like !! And he one of my favorite singers !!