Author Topic: Vintage toy Cart or Carriage  (Read 1149 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage toy Cart or Carriage
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:52 pm »
Here's another find that I purchased the other day. I think it's a Doll Cart or Carriage but I'm not sure if that was its intended use. It's made of a Wicker Seat, Wood Rims and Spindles, Iron Frame and Iron Wraps around the outer Wheel, Iron Spokes and it's riveted together. It's about 20 Inches long and about 11 1/2 Inches tall at the top of handle bars and very dirty. Has a Few Screws that look to be of a newer type so I'm guessing this to be vintage 70's. Just a hodge podge of a lot of goings on to make it.

There's a lot going on with this piece and it took some time I guess to make it although the detail I don't think is that great. Kind of crudely put together. The seat is also missing.

Does anyone know if this was indeed made as a Toy for use with Dolls or is it just a display piece. I've seen one sell for only $25 but that was the only one and I'm wondering if fixed up a little would it be worth more? Also, what may have the approximate time period it may have been made?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="761" height="1039" border="0

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Vintage toy Cart or Carriage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:44 pm »
You need to examine this very closely. I had a push sled once that I purchased and it was a very good reproduction. Look for wear in places that it would have wear like the edges of the wheel rims and of course the pedals. In the 80s a tom of these came in from the Orient and they were better than a fake Hermes hand bag. The piece I had actually was sold at a flea market by me and the guy who bought it put it in a historic house museum is Manasquan NJ. He was a curator and it fooled him too. The makers of these even do fake repairs with bent over nails and they are experts at patina. Good luck. If it is real it is worth at least 200.00 or more in the right market.
I believe it is called a velocipede which is a broad term meaning human powered thing with wheels

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:08:18 pm »
Thanks for that information frogpatch! I'm going to look into this one further.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »
I see it had a seat once. Please let us know what you find out.