Author Topic: Vintage Clay Pot From Mexico?  (Read 1541 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Clay Pot From Mexico?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »
This is a pot I purchased today and was trying to find out some more information about it if anyone knows. I have not been able to locate one like it. The pot is rather large and may be a tourist piece but I'm not sure. It looks like it may be vintage of about 70's but that's just a guess. It also looks like it was pit fired and is made of red clay and glazed.

The pot is heavy and weights about 5 1/2 pounds. It's about 7 1/4 Inches Tall, 8 Inches Wide, 4 1/2 Inches Wide on the top Rim and about 6 Inches Wide on the Bottom. The pot also has wicker on the handles and looks like the images have been hand stamped in. I think this may be from the deep southwest or Mexico or even further south.

What I would like to know is where this might have came from and who made it, the time period, what the images represent if anything at all and a approximate value if possible? Perhaps someone has seen one like this before?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="761" height="1413" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Clay Pot From Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:21 am »
Since all the figures are stamped in to speed production,, that pretty much says tourist item !! Could have come from any place south of our border !! Import shop special !! Sold at a Mexican market !! Or bought and brought home from a vacationer !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:44:37 pm »
Unfortunately, have to totally agree....it isn't hand engraved.  These have been sold in the hundreds to thousands.

late 1900's and possibly from Mexico or even New Mexico!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
You know what I just noticed ??  That pattern on the top edge looks very like those plastic things that go into a ladies hair to make a bun !!  Just stretched out and pressed into the clay !!  I forget what they are called !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »
Expanding pony tail holder!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
Thanks mart and KC! I'm going to put a hair pin into this one....  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »
Well you have to agree that at least they were inventive !!