Author Topic: Vintage Wooden Teapot Information?  (Read 1275 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Wooden Teapot Information?
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:13:46 pm »
I purchased this Wooden Teapot at the Thrift Store today and have not been able to find anything like it on the network. I did find a couple that looked newer and were carved out of a piece of wood but nothing like this.

This Teapot is made out of strips of wood that have been curved on the top area and flat strips of wood on the bottom area. Also, it has a bamboo handle, brass twisted wire (maybe) wrapped around the top and bottom areas. There is also what looks like a repair job of a strip of wood across the bottom and Asian writing (not stamped) probably Chinese or Japanese is my guess. There is a decoration of pine combs on a wire with berries on the handle but I don't think this is original to the Teapot.

The Teapot is about 13 1/2 Inches Tall to the Top Handle, 6 3/4 Inches to the Top Rim, about 10 Inches Wide at the Base or Bottom Rim and about 5 1/4 Inches Wide on the Top Rim. There was no top included with this Teapot when I purchased it. This is an unusual Teapot and looks like it was used at one time since there are repairs to it including the strip of wood. There is also some repairs to the seams in the wood on the bottom and on the sides.

What I would like to know is where this Teapot came from, who may have made it, what time period it was made, what type of wood it was made from and perhaps the value if anyone thinks they may know.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="761" height="2499" border="0

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Wooden Teapot Information?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:14:30 pm »
Nice little example of sabi & shibui , KevinM !

I'd loose the "decorative" faux-flora piece , if I were you .

Would be best with the original lid on it , but oh well ...

Really well-made items of this genre/use are often made from Keyaki (Zelkova) hardwood & are also common with bamboo handles (yours looks like b-boo , but pictures can fool me) .

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Wooden Teapot Information?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
Thanks fancypants for the information! I only left the faux-flora to perhaps help in where it may of came from and/or vintage. Didn't plan on leaving it on, it's decoration only that someone put on it.

I would have liked to of had the lid with it. The handle does have the look and feel of real bamboo, I think it is real. Do you have a guess on the vintage and where it was from?