Poll

from what era do you think

how old
1 (100%)
what era
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: March 28, 2012, 07:00:56 pm

Author Topic: what age you think  (Read 4200 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: what age you think
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:56 am »
I think the same as everyone above, the style looks late 1800's. Very nice, I love these ones with faces, it gives them such personality!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 12:22:34 pm »
Mart, my first impression when I saw the pic was the opposite - that it was the bottom part of a piece.  The drawers would be mighty high if on top.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:08 pm »
Did I say that wrong ?? I did mean drawer and doors on bottom shelves on top !! Possibly for dishes !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »
This item appears to be a portion (1/2??) of a larger pc of furniture to me (such as a sideboard/butler-server , etc) , perhaps 1870-ish , and somewhat crudely carved/doved (compared to high-quality cabinetry) ..... perhaps was a 'first piece' by an apprentice .

I'm of the opinion that it is indeed European , and carved in a manner as to represent a much older style , such as was used in the late 1600's .

Still looks cool , though !
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:09:54 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »
Sounds like we are all in agreement with this one !! I have been trying to find examples of similar furniture and it has a name but can`t remember what it is called !!  A friend years ago was an antique dealer from Germany and when she came here after her hubby got out of the military she brought a similar piece with her !!  Although hers was very finely carved  with excellent detail,, it was just as massive !! It had a drawer and two doors on bottom and additional shelves in it !! Top was like this piece, just two shelves !!  This lady collected a lot of crockery and yellowware that she displayed on the upper shelves !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:36:43 pm »
My grandfather was a builder of homes around 1900-1930. When he wasn't building homes he made furniture for his wife and later for his five daughters. I remember some pieces were German looking and some were classic American. A lot of immigrants and sons of immigrants from Germany, Holland (as he was) and other countries used to make pieces. Being a builder he always had wood available That just might be the origin of that crudely carved piece. An immigrant piece. They would sell them also for food or trade them. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:40 pm »
Certainly could be Frogpatch !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »
The handles are carved in the semblance of the Green Man - which is found in English furniture since the 1100's.  You will find it in LOTS of 19th Century pieces.  Just search Green Man in Furniture and you will get a whole lot more than you bargained for.  Search English Revival  Furniture and you will get lots more.  There are also Green Men in India, Germany, etc. furniture.  They can appear human, foliated or as animal.

Here's another example:

This appears to be the bottom half of a sideboard OR it could be a hall table.  I am going English or German, extremely late 1800's to early 1900.  Crudely made.  You will find similar designs in old hunt cabinets, tables, desks, chairs and sideboards.  

Due to the age, the finish will have darkened.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:32:19 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:59:18 pm »
That makes sense.