Author Topic: Cloisonne bowl UPDATE: translated; any further ideas?  (Read 921 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
Cloisonne bowl UPDATE: translated; any further ideas?
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:47 am »
So a while back I posted about a cloisonne bowl I have, but couldnt figure out the mark on the bottom. Took it to someone at my college and they had it translated for me. Their response on the translation:
 It says "fortune" . The character is written upside down. "Upside down"
    sounds the same as the word "arrival". Therefore, when you read out "the
    fortune is upside down" , it sounds like "the fortune is arrived".

Link to gallery pics: http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/Pantrwrstl/Antique%20buys/

So with this new information, does anyone have any news ideas about the age of this, or what the mark could mean or represent? Almost sounds like it should just be a fortune cookie bowl or something...

EDIT: from wiki - Fú dào le - 福到了 "fortune has arrived" and 福倒了 "fortune is upside down", the latter simply referring to the ubiquitous character 福, which when displayed upside down denotes one's good fortune has arrived. It is common practice to hang the character upside-down on doors during the Spring festival [5]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:05:57 am by pantrwrstl »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Cloisonne bowl UPDATE: translated; any further ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:07 pm »
Cool little ornate Dragon & Phoenix motif bowl , pantrwstl .

I'd say that the style was intended to mimic the T'ang style , with the exception that the body (background) is black .
The T'ang style used primarily blue/green backgrounds .... cloisonne art/work was introduced into China during the Ming dynasty .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "