Author Topic: Vintage Designer Brooch Jewelry?  (Read 1700 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Designer Brooch Jewelry?
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
OK, I realize that I'm out of my league here, and I shouldn't even dabble with Jewelry, but this piece of Vintage Designer Jewelry (I think It's Vintage Designer) caught my eye at the thrift store today so I bought it (I like the unusual, almost any items...). I've done some research on it, and as usual, with a lot of my unusual items I can't find anything like it through searches and was hoping someone may be able to give some additional details.

What I know is that it's Sterling Silver 925, it weighs about 1/4 Ounce, it has 3 pearls that are 6 mm, 1 white and 2 black (I think they are real). Inside is what looks like Gold Metal of some variation that I don't know. The Brooch is just over 1 1/2 Inches Wide, about 1 Inch in Height and is about 1/2 of an Inch Thick. There is another mark below the bigger stamped 925 which is hard to make out but I think there is a crown or mark and another tiny 925 stamped there. It was also tarnished black in spots on the back but I polished the back up.

It also looks like the Silver on the front was brushed intentionally by the designer but I don't know for sure (may be some scratches too but not on the pearls). I think it's intentional because the back and sides are shinny and if someone was cleaning they would probably have done the whole piece and scratched the sides and back up also.

What I would like to know is if this is a Vintage Brooch (Can this be told by the clasp?), is the Gold Metal inside really Gold or Brass or something else, who may have made it (this is a long shot), where it might have been made, and the ball park value if anything other than scrap metal.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="845" height="1570" border="0
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:42:47 pm by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Designer Brooch Jewelry?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:14 am »
I would certainly agree that this looks like a high end designer piece !! The surface has some surface scratches but the finish is what is called florentine or simply as you said a brushed finish !! This was quite popular during the 60`s and early 70`s and is still used to some degree but not as much as before !!  Those pearls should be checked to see if they are natural or cultured !!  Craftsmanship is excellent on this pin from what I can see !!  May need to get a jewelers loupe to see marks !!  I can see the crown and 925 but isn`t there something on the top edge of the back ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Thanks for the information mart! What you see on the top edge of the back is a reflection from the clasp.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:17 am »
What would the price range difference be for this piece if the pearls were natural versus cultured? Keep in mind the pearls look like they are in excellent condition and are about 6 mm.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:16:59 pm »
You got me there !!  I have no idea but since it is sterling,, check at a reputable jeweler and if possible,, more than one !! Last I heard those black pearls were pretty rare especially the larger ones !! If they make you an offer,, don`t take it !!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:01 am »
Well i know nothing but I do agree-never take what a jeweler offers you-you can sometimes triple or more what they offer-especially where i'm from!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:54:29 am »
You got that right !!