Author Topic: Found a Suitcase with some cool stuff inside....  (Read 1348 times)

ladyphenom7

• View Profile
Found a Suitcase with some cool stuff inside....
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:55:15 pm »
So a year or so ago I bought this vintage looking suitcase from a thrift shop for $1.00. I peeked inside but didn't look that good and saw that it didn't look too good inside (or smell good for that matter, lol) Well yesterday I opened it and found some pretty cool things. There is what looks to be a dress inside, it is old and yellowing but I can tell it's a dress. It's made of like a lacey looking material but it doesn't have any tags or anything. I also found a few buttons, one of which is brass and reads "MILITARIES EQUIPMENTS" on it. The suitcase is a hard side, Samsonite suitcase. It has a cloth lining inside with a few pockets, and it has the remains of a stamp on top although I can't make out where it's from.
My question is does anyone know anything about any of the items in the suitcase or maybe the suitcase itself? When was it made, made what time period these items could have come from. I have included some pics to help. Thanks!!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Found a Suitcase with some cool stuff inside....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
The suitcase itself is 40`s or 50`s,, I had a red one almost identical !! Dark button on right is same era in fact I have one like the one on the lower rt. !!  Not sure the dress is a dress per se !! Looks more like a nightie,, would have to be worn over something if not !! The brass button is interesting and sounds like French military issue !!  Those are my best guesses !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »
Googling 'Equipments Militaires Button' brings up several hits with references from WWI, through WWII to still in production. You can see differences in the manufacturing, particularly in the number and style of holes or type of fastening.  Eyes are getting a wee bit tired to read through it all. Some responses on two forums give further links.

ladyphenom7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:32 am »
I checked out the links and saw that the button may have come off of a French bread. At during WW1 or WW2. I would like to find out more about the dress or nightie but not sure how to go about finding any info on that. I appreciate everyone's help!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:37:14 am »
This could honestly be a dress!  When we went through all of the old family items in several trunks there were lots of lacy items like this that were worn layered over dresses in flapper era!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:41:00 am »
Just google Antique or Vintage Textiles and see what comes up !! There are many that deal in clothing I imagine !! I don`t know much I am afraid !! Sorry !!