Author Topic: Vintage hand painted urns  (Read 1019 times)

Homemaker1

• View Profile
Vintage hand painted urns
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »
I found these urns while going through my deceased relatives house. They seem to be very old. One handle has been broken off. Does anyone know anything about them as far as price, maker etc? What is "100/A?" I can't seem to find anything out.
Thanks for any help.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage hand painted urns
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
Found another similar to yours on ebay with a VG initials !!  Here is my opinion,, since it has no factory mark and only the hand signed initials,, I think your urns are fairly modern last half 1900`s and the mark is from the individual decorator !! These were purchased as greenware before firing by a studio and they did the artwork and the final firing !!  This was a common practice and many were sold as tourist items and import shops here and other countries bought them for resale !! The 100/A would only have a meaning to that particular decorator and could mean that that number was how many they had done !! They likely were paid according to the number painted so initialing was a way to make sure they got their money !!

Homemaker1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »
I just contacted someone that sells Italian ceramics. They said this piece is from around the late 1800's and from the Deruta Italy region. They also said they sell something like this NEW at $500 per urn.  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:08 pm »
Well,, If I were you I would run as fast as possible and sell it !! Just got through looking at pages and pages of Deruta pottery and reading the article on the Chinese fakes, I am not sure yours even passed through Italy much less was made there !! Paint is wrong, color is wrong and honestly, the Italians have been doing this for 800 years I don`t think they would have turned out such a childish piece of artwork !! Sorry for being blunt but there is no age showing on yours at all and the quality just isn`t there  !!  These people were craftsmen and quality would be formost to them !!!  I could be wrong but I don`t think so !!