Author Topic: Silver/Metal Seal/Crest Pendants.  (Read 3435 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Silver/Metal Seal/Crest Pendants.
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
I have a few of these seal pendants but don't know much about them. I wonder if anyone here has seen them, collects them, or just knows what I got. I don't think it is silver because it does not seem to tarnish and I can not find any hallmarks on it. This one has an initial on one side then swivels to the other side to reveal a family crest/seal. No idea what they are worth but the few antique dealers around town really went crazy over them(I asked them to make me an offer and the two I showed them to both said they wanted me to give them a price) Any idea what they would be worth/a fair price? I have three more any info on them would be helpful. Thanks everyone!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Re: Silver/Metal Seal/Crest Pendants.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »
Couple More

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »
Where did you get them ?? Are they all the same ?? Or are the seals different ??

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:25 pm »
My Grandma died a few years ago and we have been going through stuff of hers only recently. She had several boxes with all sorts of antiques. Her and my Grandpa use to collect antiques years ago but had not bought or collected in about 20+ years. She has match safes,snuff boxes,cigarette cases,miniature bronze statues,Netsukes,and just lots of little items. We found these seals in a jewelry box with some other stuff. Three are similar but seal/crests are different. The 4th one is small but on a stand and is reversible exposing two different seals.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
I believe you just might have some antique/victorian rotating seals/fob.  If in fact these are authentic....you have some nice items on your hands.

Would like to know what the seals are to determine if English, etc.

FYI....just this one on Ebay  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ENGLISH-GEORGIAN-GOLD-ROTATING-SEAL-FOB-c1800-/160700120261#vi-desc

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:24:18 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:12:40 am »
Excellent KC !! I have never seen items like these !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:44:42 am »
Mart, they aren't that common anymore.  People don't know what they are and toss them when cleaning out estates or just wear as regular jewelry.

They are pretty neat pieces of history!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:09 am »
I agree !!  Were the crests common to a family ?? Or just a decoration ??  No wonder that antique dealer wanted them !! I imagine he knew what they were !!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:55:36 am »
Yes, both dealers who saw them really wanted them. One did not want me to leave without selling him at least one. I thought it was weird that he wanted it so bad but would not give me a price. The other guy first said $75 then quickly took it back and asked me to name my price.I thought that was a little low but understand a dealer is going to buy something for as little as possible so he can mark up the price. I told them both I had to research them before I could say what I wanted.

I have to also note, both dealers saw other stuff of mine and they made some fair offers I thought. When it came to these seals their attitude changed. One dealer and I kept getting interrupted and I was becoming annoyed. People would look at something and he would walk away from me and ask if they needed help and just made small talk with other customers while keeping me waiting(Probably should have scheduled a private consultation with them)He was the only one working and I know how it is like when you are alone. However, the phone would ring and they were clearly personal calls and he continued to keep me waiting. When we got to the seals,he let the phone ring and ring without answering. He became friendlier and more personable. Other people who came in were then ignored and actually had to wait once I showed him the seals.

One guy even asked for my number and like a fool I gave it to him. He has called twice asking me about the seals only. So, considering how just these two dealers acted I figured I would do some research which is why I thought I would bring the subject up here. Many thanks for the advice. VERY HELPFUL!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:09:51 am »
Christies Auction has an online appraisal service that is free !! You might be wise take some really good pics and ask them before selling !! Just go to their website and you can find the free appraisal service !!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »
Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out. Wonder if they have a limit to what they will appraise. Many thanks again for the info.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 01:42:35 pm »
Just out of courtesy to them I would suggest that anyone limit it to high end, items that are considered rare or unusual !! I would not ask them to appraise ordinary items that most people can find if they bother to look !! I understand that a lot of people do not know how to classify a rare, hard to find item but its certainly not what one normally find at garage sales as a rule !!  We can help with those !!  I think these would qualify for their service !! Whatever else you have,,try here first !!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »
I agree. The others are very similar. They all have rather elaborate crests. Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:49 am »
I would take good clear pics of two of them,, front and back !! The others likely will be in the same value range unless the crests are distinct to one family !!  They should be able to tell if they are !!  Then if the family had some interesting historical link,, value would be more !!  But if the crests are decorative only,, the value would be about the same on all !!