Author Topic: Antique Oil Lamp-Any and all Info Would Be Great!  (Read 2595 times)

kathyp1039

• View Profile
Antique Oil Lamp-Any and all Info Would Be Great!
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:43 am »
Now I finally have an actual Antique to ask about-really old!!Since i'm 39 and this was my great-great grandmother's about how old would it be? I know at least over 100 years. There are no markings on it except the wick part on the extra not the original it says Eagle. I'm pretty sure the globes are replacements too. I'm totally clueless to these so any info would be great! thanks everyone!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Oil Lamp-Any and all Info Would Be Great!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:46 am »
Nice lamp !!  Eagle would be who made the metal part that holds the wick !! I am guessing yours is around 1900`s vintage but I don`t recognize the glass !!  The globe looks like a 70`s replacement !! I am thinking it may have had one of the tall slender globes with a shade originally !!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:28:21 am »
I actually think I've found some-Made by Hobbs-I typed in polka dot oil lamp,hahahaha. I can't find any with that type of base though-still searching!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:36 am »
Try adding "Victorian" to your search title !!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:02:21 am »
Aha-now this is making sense. The Hobb's,Brockunier & Co.  opened in 1845 or 1863-read both, in Wheeling,WV. and became part of the US Glass Company in 1891. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:09:37 am »
Good work Kathy!  ;D Beautiful lamp and how cool that you can imagine your ancester sewing by its light. Be a bit careful though if you use it, they can start fires if knocked over and be sure you have plenty of air ventilation
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:20:19 am »
Oh no worries there! Wouldn't dare want to smell that stuff,hahahaha. Actually there are 2 here,identical and my mom wants me to put one on Ebay. She was in the hospital for a few days last year and she still has an outrageous amount of bills to catch up on. Really hard being a widowed senior living solely on SS, its just a day to day struggle. And its an even bigger shame having to do things like this just to try and keep your head above water!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
I can imagine she does have a hard time making ends meet !! Or as my family always said,, just trying to get them close !!  Some of the other members here are really good on glass and perhaps they will know what your lamp is called !! Knowing the glass type so you can put it in your title will help get the best price !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:00:07 pm »
I googled "Hobbs Cranberry opalescent lamp" and got these on images
http://www.google.com/search?q=hobbs+cranberry+opalescent+coin+dot+lamp&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=wCBmT9nPOIbX0QGs29yTCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAQ

Seems that Fenton made this pattern but not sure if they made the glass for the lamps or what !! Bet Wendy would know !!  Anyway at least you know what to call yours !! Oh yes,, wanted to say to not worry about matching the base,, there were so many styles of them that would take forever !! The glass is the important part,, just call it Victorian and you will be correct !!

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:14:29 pm »
Yes,i'm still looking at pics! It does look more Hobb's than Fenton from what i'm seeing. And add "coin dot"  and even more pop up!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:24:16 pm »
I believe the correct name for the glass is cranberry opalescent coinspot.

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 09:07:33 am »
Yes I saw that name a lot looking at pictures,thanks Frogpatch!

adam82376

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:24 pm »
Speaking of Wendy. Mart where did she go I still need help on that huge perfume bottle.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:03 am »
Have no idea, Adam !!  She pops in every few days !! What about the perfume bottle ??   Need a value ???  Might bring $10. to $20. without that stopper !! Little more with it !!